Safety question

Sponsored Links
What he means is - the electrician will give no guarantee for the parts you buy.
As the OP has said, if he bought the parts himself, he would presumably get a guarantee - so there is probably no difference in relation to the parts.

However, does an electrician's guarantee cover the labour costs of replacing parts as well as the cost of the replacement parts themselves. If so, that would obviously be a difference - but, as a matter of interest, if that is the case, how is it (the labour cost) usually financed - out of the electrician's pocket, or by some sort of insurance?

Kind Regards, John

However, does an electrician's guarantee cover the labour costs of replacing parts as well as the cost of the replacement parts themselves. If so, that would obviously be a difference - but, as a matter of interest, if that is the case, how is it (the labour cost) usually financed - out of the electrician's pocket, or by some sort of insurance?

It would be out of his pocket, now there is a section of the notification fee that is 'supposed' to pay for a warrenty, but this only generally comes into play if there is a dispute for the contractor goes out of buisness, for the most part it lines the pockets of teh scheme organisers....

The cost of servicing the warrenty is built into the markup on the parts the contractor supplys, now if the part the contractor replaces under warrenty is covered by a manufacturers warrenty, then thats a bonus for him, he can return it through his wholesaler for credit. Another aspect is that if the contractor gets too many failures on one prticualar brand of an item, he'll switch to another brand, etc. If the customer supplies their own gear, they might get a manufacturers warrantly on that, and it would be for him to argue with the warrenty supplier who is to pay for an installed item to be swapped out on site.

Sponsored Links
The electrician has been to look at the job and we've had a discussion about what I need and whats there(ie:earthing,circuits, new feeds I want) so why wouldn't I get an EIC or notification done?
I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

That you're asking here about what devices you should use doesn't indicate that this electrician is doing the design. And when you write things like "Obviously I'll have to run some 10mm from the board to the shower which is fine, I've done it before" one wonders how much of the construction he would be doing.

As for notification, the electrician would be certifying to Building Control that he did the work.

Of course, you may have found an electrician prepared to sign declarations saying that he had done things which he had not.

Thanks for most of the replies.

I hadn't thought about the consequences if the CU I bought was faulty, could happen I suppose and if I'd or electrician bought from local suppplier could at least go back on the same day for replacement.

Sounds like you lost the CPC / earthing conductor in the shower supply. Bad connection at one/both ends or in the isolator, or a break in it somewhere.

I hadn't thought about the consequences if the CU I bought was faulty, could happen I suppose and if I'd or electrician bought from local suppplier could at least go back on the same day for replacement.
Unless it were obviously mechanically broken, the most likely 'fault' in a CU (assuming it was bought 'populated') would be fairly early failure of one or more of the devices within it (MCBs, RCBOs, RCDs, Main Switch etc.). That could take 'months' (or, obviously, longer) to show itself - so, assuming it happened within the warranty period, it would still be 'a faulty CU' (covered by the warranty), but obviously not something that could be dealt with by 'same day replacement' on the day or foriginal installation.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back