Sagging Parliament Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of french doors that have a pair of 4" x 6" parliament hinges on so that they can fold out flat against the outside wall of the house. The trouble is that the tops of the doors are 'sagging' in on one another. Is it that the doors are too heavy for the hinges? If so should I replace them with smaller ones (e.g. 4" x 4") or butt hinges?

Sponsored Links
heeellloo windy ridge what size and how much glass have your doors!!!

exterior doors should have three hinges each side [for support and security]
may just be a case of tightening /moving slightly
shut one door see if theres any slack when you try and lift it!!
see if the top hinge "moves" [gap opens and closes]
do the same with the other door

Hi, thanks for the reply. The doors are 23" x 78" and each has 10 double-glazed lights. The hinges are all securely attached to the doors and frame and it is possible to lift them slightly when they're closed, just about enough to make them sit properly.

ok try tightening all hinges with more emphasis on the top hinges

your doormay also have dropped and or some of the joints opened up

take a try square a right angle out you kids bag or even an a4 sheet of paper hold it along the long edge of the glass and see if its sqaure
also look and see if any cracks between the larger horizontal and verticle bits off wood and see if the are even or taperd shape

Sponsored Links
Windy Ridge said:
it is possible to lift them slightly when they're closed, just about enough to make them sit properly.

So there is a bit of looseness? When you lift them, where is this slack taken up? Is it the door structure; the hinge or screws moving, or the hinge pin loose in its bearings?

I've been trying to post some photos, but failed! Anyway to try and explain: the doors are perfectly square and all screws are tight. On the hinge side the door fits close into the frame at the bottom, but at the top there is a 5mm gap between the door and the frame. Along the top there is a gap between the door and the frame that starts at next to nothing at the hinge side and increases to about 5mm at the other side. Hope this is clearer.
Door
bcd73a3c.jpg

Bottom
00eaebb4.jpg

2d8e7c47.jpg

i think the photos worked after all!

heeelllooo windy ridge

is it possible to take a pictureof the same door with the opposite door open [so it dosnt support the door] or is that what the bottom picture!!!!!

Hi, that's pretty much what it looks like with the other door open, too, because the 'latch side' of the door is resting on the doorstep slightly. I'll try a picture anyway.Hang on...............

--------------------- whilst i wait ;)

if you rock the door is there any play on the hinge knuckle or between the hinge the door or frame!!!!!!

Here we go...
IMG_1060.jpg

not really much different is it?
You can with (with some force) close up the top hinge almost as much as the bottom by pushing/lifting the door in an anti-clockwise direction when seen from outside. Does that make sense?

nice self portrait :D :D :D ;)

rather going round in circles here ;)

have you tried tightening the top hinge!!!!!

Hey it was a sunny day! At least you can't see my legs in those shorts...
Anyway all hinges are tightly attached to bothe frame and door. I checked the hinge, it's not bent or deformed. I think I'll have to try hinges with a smaller arm to see if that makes a difference.

Can you see where the slack/movement/play is occurring?

The hinges are pretty much as new with no wear or looseness apparent. The play is taken up by the top hinge closing a bit more. The right hand door seems to sit fine on the same type of hinge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back