Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D6B7B0EC-C4AC-4B82-8724-63D7E0E7CC74.jpeg
D6B7B0EC-C4AC-4B82-8724-63D7E0E7CC74.jpeg
CA2B7D4F-6F29-4C7E-9A77-E5AA0E16374A.jpeg
D7AF9084-E5CE-463F-B3A1-ECAA30B3BF48.jpeg
Hello
Last year I designed and built (along with the hubby) our huge summerhouse!
Now the weather has improved we are trying to work on it again, the problem I have is where we’ve installed french doors we’ve had to put a temporary wooden support in the middle from the floor to the roof as the roof is drooping. How do we prevent this? I will try to add pictures to show what I mean. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Maybe noggins between the rafters, and additional beams overlapping the door frame to transfer some of the load on the centre of the door joist to the frame at the sides.

But maybe the cause is that header should have been doubled up, rather than the central rafter, especially as the left hand side is just sitting on the top of the upright beam

Just my observations as a DIYER.

Otherwise a great job!

Blup

Maybe you could jack up the beams over the window to take out the sag and then bolt addional beams side by side, this would strengthen the beams

Unfortunately youve built it with no lintel above the French doors.

You could fit a length of unequal angle on the inside.

Where the joists are cut over the softwood top plate, you could cut back the cut out by say 10mm and go higher as well. Then you could fit a steel angle, say 75mm x 50mmx 6mm. Push the angle up and coach screw it in place where the 50mm hits theunderside of the joists.

You will also need some timber to infill between the joists, especially abovethe frame jambs to take the load.

In an ideal world you would take the doors and studwork out and put the angle iron there.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, some sort of steel reinforcement would help.

Blup

Or cut the joists back, reinforce the lintel with an additional beam and sit the joist ends in steel hangers strapped under the new lintel. Adding further jambs either side to bear the additional load.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back