Sagging roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
is anyone able to suggest how to deal with a sagging roof please?

The hip rafters on both sides of the roof are sagging a bit and the tiles have started to lift up like birds feathers separating. There appears to be a little bit of water damage to the rafters on the inside.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what my options are for repairing this and if possible a rough idea of cost?

Thanks for helping.

GALLERY]
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Yes time for some roof work.... Slates look good so reusable, Timbers will need a sympathetic chippie and some purlins. etc
I think your neighbour may have had theirs done.. see who did theirs

Sponsored Links
Its not clear if the slates need replacing, but you certainly need to sort out the leaking

You will never get the sag out of it now though. Whether the sag is just due to continuous dampness to the timber or due to undersized timbers, or whether it needs additional support now needs investigation

The roof does not look that big, so at a guess, £5k for complete replacement of the slates

Thanks for the input everyone.

Woody - would replacing the tiles do the trick or do you think some work is needed to straighten the lines out or even replace the timbers? If so, any idea what it might cost? The roof is about twice the length backwards as you can see on the front.

Datarebal - yes, worthwhile asking the question. If there is a sag can the old timbers be jacked up again or supported or would they need replacing?

Thanks again

Would be easier to replace the timbers than try to straighten them out again.. my vote is new roof.. sorry

What is a new roof likely to cost? It's probably 4.5m wide by 13 ish long. I assume the timbers need replacing so factor that in; I think the slates look ok but any idea of the cost if the tiles are reused, and cost if they are replaced?

anyone?

thanks

[/quote] are you psychic - how can we see much of the neighbours :confused: :mrgreen:[/quote]

I can see all I need to , If i'm wrong i'll give a fiver to the RNLI.

Woody is in the right ball park, but i'd reuse the slate.

ok thanks guys.

Woody - are you factoring in replacing all the woodwork?

No, it is an unnecessary expense to replace the rafters and hip - that is a massive job. £5k would be just for the felt, lath and slates - a bit less if slates are re-usable

Many roofs sag for many reasons, but that does not mean a problem with the actual roof structure.

If the unevenness of the roof bothers you, then I would be inclined to fit new timbers to the sides of the existing afters which would form the new roof line ready for lathing and slating, rather than removing the existing timbers. These may not need to be a big as the rafters.

A new purlin and posts to support the rafters at mid-span may or may not be required, or may not even be feasible, and someone needs to look at this. If there are no roofers or general builders with some experience in the structural side of things, then perhaps it would be worth spending £200 or so and getting a structural engineers' or building surveyors opinion - but having said that, they will probably be over cautious in their opinion, so be sure to give them specific instructions on what you want - ie the minimum amount of work required

Not to tread on anyone's toes but here's my 10pee's worth:

1. the sagging will not go away, it will only get worse with time and a couple of heavy snow loads.

2. there is obvious wet rot damage, in photo 2 the remains of a crumbling "prop" can be seen dangling. All this damaged wood must be removed. There are loose slates and buckled hip tiles and possibly water penetration inside the property.

3. In warmer weather strip the roof of the slate and examine the roof framing. Check how the foot of the hip rater(s) is fixed to the wall plate. Whatever happens roof felt is needed

4. Check to see if the roof is spreading or if the chimney stack and it's flashing is somehow contributing to the problem.

5. post more pics from different elevations -side view etc. Is the ridge line, between stacks, level?

6. is this a detached property or a bungalow? what ,if anything, has happened to the hips at the other end of the roof?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back