Sagging towel ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a towel ring similar to this in the toilet. There's a single screw in the bracket which is fixed to the wall by a rawl plug. The towel ring is then secured over the bracket with a grub screw.

towel ring.jpg

This whole thing has now started to sag out from the wall and I can see a bit of the rawl plug.

How can I reattach it? Drill a larger hole and fit a larger rawl plug? I think it's only plasterboard that it's attached to so can't imagine it'd be easy to fix.

Sponsored Links
What wall construction is it?

Partition?
Dot-and dabbed plasterboard over brick / block?

Where I have dot n' dabbed board over brick, I have drilled right through into the brick, then plugged and screwed that way. Secure enough.

If partition, I would use a bradawl or magnet to find the studwork, then fix to that.

Other than that, something like a toggle plasterboard fixing.

I bought a strong magnet off Amazon, and use that to find the studs (correctly, the screws that I used to fix the boards to the timber studs).

Sponsored Links
They are notoriously difficult to fit correctly. The screw holes in the wall plate are too close together to successfully use plasterboard plugs. I'm sure it's a design fault as they always work lose after a period of time.

If it's a rawlplug into plasterboard it'll give way eventually since a towel rail is always being pulled etc. I found this style of rawlplug works well in our platerboard walls...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-pack-of-100/47347

You drill a small hole then screw the fixing into the hole with it's worm thread, then screw your towel rail into the fixing. You can get them in smaller packs from diy shops, and can also get them in plastic rather than metal. If your existing hole isn't too oval you could probably just screw one into the hole. If the hole is really worn you'll need to start with a new hole but you can often move it only a few mm away and cover it with the bracket.

Beware the length of the fixing, if your walls aren't hollow the fixing might hit the brick behind.

Edit... They're supposed to be self drilling but I found I got them to fit tighter if I drilled a small hole first.

I had a similar problem with a toilet roll holder. It was attached using rawlplugs to plasterboard. Initially, I replaced them with larger rawlplugs but they worked loose too. The only solution was to drill through into the breezeblock behind and insert rawlplugs into that. We could now swing on the toilet roll holder, were we that way inclined.

be sure to tap the wall and work out where the studs and nogs are. If you can drive a screw into timber it will be a hundred times better than plasterboard.

If it's d&d on blocks, plug into the blocks.

Thanks for the replies. I'm almost certain there's only a plasterboard wall dividing the toilet and kitchen.

I'm reluctant to make another hole because the toilet walls are wallpapered :confused: So I'm keen to use the same hole (for now).

I've been looking at spring toggles and snap toggles. Any thoughts on these?

I only used a toggle once, and it worked perfectly. I had to make quite a big hole to get the fixing through tho.

The worm drive fixings I linked to above will work fine, assuming your walls are plasterboard. We have some towel rails and toilet roll holders held on with them with no problems. The towel rail rotates a bit but it's between the bracket and the fixing, ie the fixing itself isn't under any strain. I've also used them for plenty "non-moving" things around the house too, like a wall mounted towel radiator, shelf racks etc. Pull your existing rawlplug out the wall using pointed pliers and make sure there's an inch or so gap behind it.

Right so I finally got round to having a look at this. This is the bracket:

IMG_8593_zpslpnus1yf.jpg

This is the hole left behind (30x15mm approx):
IMG_8596_zpsdwmkbna0.jpg

This is what was holding up the bracket:
IMG_8594_zpsmlqc88fq.jpg

The hole is about 75mm deep. The nearest stud (that I can find) is about 30cm to the right and is right next to the sink. Looks like I need to reuse the hole unless I try and repair/redecorate, which I'm not keen to do.

What are my options?

Right so I finally got round to having a look at this. This is the bracket:

IMG_8593_zpslpnus1yf.jpg

This is the hole left behind (30x15mm approx):
IMG_8596_zpsdwmkbna0.jpg

This is what was holding up the bracket:
IMG_8594_zpsmlqc88fq.jpg

The hole is about 75mm deep. The nearest stud (that I can find) is about 30cm to the right and is right next to the sink. Looks like I need to reuse the hole unless I try and repair/redecorate, which I'm not keen to do.

What are my options?
I'd be looking at spring toggles as those rawl plugs are plasterboard fixings anyway.

Spring Toggles, the hole is large enough to take them without making it larger, get them in at the right angle and the bracket should hide them .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back