Sail Rope Rigging Type Experiment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm creating a bathroom that is a little bit different. I've jsut fitted a sail shaped bath/shower screen. However the supporting batton that is meant to fix against the wall is only supported 2/3rds of the way up as there is a massive window + associated shelf in the way. I've screwed the lower part down substantially, but i want to restrain the top. In keeping with the shape of the screen, i'm considering running a series of wire ropes from the frame in different angles and lengths to the window sill to make it look like a proper ship's sail.

I've found places that can sell me the kits used in shops, www.midwestdisplays.com but they're very expensive considering the number of ropes/fixing i want to use (6-10)

it'd be much better if i could use a series of eyelets and a series of tensioners, touse only a single kit with a massive length of rope and run it back and forth.

Does this all make sense? it's in my head but nowhere else at the moment. Anybody got any suggestions they care to wing my way? sources of eyelets that can screw into wood and allow the wire rope to run through? sources of wire rope fixings?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Google 'Architectural Rigging' or 'wire balustrade'

This stuff costs a fortune wherever you get it!

try sailing chandlers there are several online ones. I think you should be able to get the wire by the metre and a crimping tool so you can make your own eyes.

Sponsored Links
flash yachties use stainless rod rather than wire rope.

diyisfree said:
freddymercurystwin

are you really ? i mean, do you look like him ?

show us a piccie :D

I assumed it was the lifestyle and personal tastes that were identical, rather than the appearance ;)

Sounds rather funky.

I know that good ol' B&Q do a range of wire rope/cable in 4mm, 6mm, 10mm (IIRC) as well as a whole bunch of cable fixings: ie - eyelets, pullies, cleats, eye loop making thingies ...

Think the 6mm stuff was around £0.70 per meter.

Try shopkit - www.shopkit.com
I've just ordered some similar stuff to put up tensioned display wires in a school art room.
Cable is £1.40 / m for 3mm tensile stainless, fixing plates [dead ends] £4.40, tensioners [turnbuckles on 45mm dia plate] £11.25.
Not sure about price of pulleys - I've tensioned each wire - but they do do them.
It's top quality stuff, perhaps a bit pricey but they should offer everything you need to make a nice job.

Ok here is my two pennies worth. We use wire rope, turnbuckles, dogs, ferrules and various other items that are differently named by just about ever supplier and old sea dog that's involved in such things. For a simple cheap ish range Screwfix do sell some bits. Then you have the many chandlers, often pricey selling small amounts to boat owners with the money. Another company that supplies various things to the trade is Flints Hire and Supply. They have a huge range of interesting things rigging related. But my top tip is go direct to English Chain Company. The have a good website with down load-able catalogues. They make the stuff and its a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back