Sainless steel or high carbon steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'm looking at buying a couple of Marshall Town Trowels. I know they are made in either stainless steel or high carbon steel. Can you advise which is best and why?

Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
If you're an intermittent user the stainless steel will rust more slowly between periods of use (they'll still rust, though). The carbon steels seem to have more spring to them which makes them a bit easier to use, IMO

Scrit

I used to leave my trowels soaking in a bucket of water so the plaster on them would soften up before I cleaned them. But, one time something came up and it slipped my mind that I left the trowels soaking in water, and they came out discoloured from the corrosion.

I think they make them out of stainless so that if a contractor pays for the tools his workmen use, then there's no harm done if a workman (through inattention or spite) leaves them soaking in water overnight like I did.

If they're similar in cost, I'd go for the stainless ones. As long as you wash and dry your tools after each use, then you'll not notice any difference between one and the other.

The stainless are more expensive. There's also a smaller range in Marshalltown, Ragni,. etc

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys,

As it turned out I bought the high carbon ones as the handles seemed more comfortable then that of the stainless, I can always change them if you think the stainless ones are better.

Mark

Mark

It's probably more important to remember to clean and dry your kit after use. A bit of 3-in-1 before storing away does no harm, either. As to the best ones to use, Marshalltown have a ed rubber handle called the "DuraSoft which makes using the tool a pleasure, especially after it's been broken in. BTW whart did you buy?

Scrit

stainless steel always, they dont rust or nik as easily they last a lot longer, they tend to hold their shape better and they dont stain certain textured finishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back