Salamander CT50 Pump keeps failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Salamander CT50 Pump fitted around 5 years ago to supply a Bath/Shower and an en-suite Shower. It worked fine for 3 years then it started making a racket (probably bearing failure) and I replaced it. The second one lasted just under a year, the third about 6 months and the fourth is now making the same noises so I will have to replace it after about 6 months.

Thankfully, Screwfix never quibble - they just replace it.

Is the quality of Salamander pumps getting worse or is there something else amiss here with my set up?
Should I replace with a more powerful pump - if so, which one?

Cheers for any advice.
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Haven't fitted salamander pumps for a number of years too many failures.
Assuming it's fitted correctly ( S flange or similar) we fit Stuart Turner monsoon more costly but reliable.
My own 3 bar pump is 16 years old just had one reed switch.

Same as above, salamander are not the product they used to be.

Check dedicated 22mm supply from loft storage which should be 50 gallon minimum and 22mm hot from cylinder flange to meet salamanders requirements.

Haven't fitted salamander pumps for a number of years too many failures.
Assuming it's fitted correctly ( S flange or similar) we fit Stuart Turner monsoon more costly but reliable.
My own 3 bar pump is 16 years old just had one reed switch.
Do I need an S Flange if the pump is on the floor - 3 feet from the top of the Tank?

Sponsored Links
Out of interest Exedon, is the Stuart Turner 3 Bar a straight swap, plumbing wise, for the Salamader CT50? Could an amateur swap it out?

I've had the same experience with a Stuart Turner Techflow from their 'Whisper Quiet' range. It's their cheapest pump but I don't want a massive flowrate [to save water and gas] and don't need the higher pressures that more expensive pumps provide. To start with they are very quiet compared to other pumps but....

.....the first one lasted 9 months before getting noisy, and a new one was sent out by ST without quibble under their warranty. This one lasted 2 years before it also got very noisy and was replaced at my cost. the third one is now 6 months old and still OK for the moment.

what temp do you have your cylinder stat at have it at around 55 to stop cavitation as that can cause pumps to fail

Some Salamnder pumps aren’t suitable for baths, only showers or mixer taps, because they need water flowing through both sides.

I can’t find the old CT50 on the Salamander website, but the new CT XTRA 50 will only do a shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back