Salamander pump leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Woke up this morning to soaking wet carpet on landing. Have discovered one of the pipes into the Salamander pump in the airing cupboard is leaking.

I’ve turned the valves that I can find off (although these look like they just feed the shower taps). Turned the power to the pump off. And I’ve turned the hot water off. Can I do anything short term to stop the water flow before getting someone round tomorrow to fix?

The water has already come through to the ceiling downstairs.

Will we be able to have the hot water on today or would that make it worse?

thank you

Sponsored Links
This is a photo of the pump for context. The leak was coming from the back black fitting going into the pump. I’ve managed to tighten it which seems to have stopped the flow.

have turned all back on now to see if that’s sorted it for now.

Attachments

• 2DA57FAB-B2AA-420E-BA08-F105F5EFF6D8.jpeg
    2DA57FAB-B2AA-420E-BA08-F105F5EFF6D8.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 436
  • C83DF2E8-875E-4802-B8DD-B80EB98E6029.jpeg
    C83DF2E8-875E-4802-B8DD-B80EB98E6029.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 507
Probably worked it's way loose when the pumps been running, make sure the flexi pipes have enough play in them to allow them to flex properly. That allows the pump to vibrate/move without loosening the connections.

Sponsored Links
Use dry tissue paper and starting high up rub it around joints and pipes to find where the leak starts from.
A pair of grips would tighten that connection if it was loose but don`t go all gorilla tight with it.

They do look like quite old hoses and appear to be fairly bent, we have spares available on the website, should the need replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back