Salamander pump pulsing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My salamander pump (RSP100 2 bar pump) supporting 2 showers, works most times, but then once it has been used, and switched off, will not work again, starts pulsing, for another 15-30mins. But this is not alsways the case. it will usually come on again in the evening, or the following morning

Somedays it will not work first thing in the morning. Which is usually followed by screams of "get it fixed" else Ill cut your whatists off!

I have read on here that I should put a non return valve in the hot pipe output to the shower.

Is this correct? or do I have to put them in both pipes to the showers.

Or is there something else I need to do like put an automatic bleed valve in both pipes.

or should I just buy a positive head pump?

The pump is located by the side of the bottom of the Hot water tank, and is at least 1.2 meters below the 80L cold water tank.

I have cleaned the filters, and checked the cold water tank so it hasnt emptied.

Sponsored Links
Good Morning,

The first question to ask is whether you get issues with both showers or just one? if only one shower, pumps good but theres another issue.
The good news is that if it works most of the time, its highly unlikely to be a mechanical issue, given it would either work or not.

If the pump is pulsing during use, it tends to be down to a restriction somewhere or shower issue, this causes water to slow down, in turn causing the float switch to bob up and down, giving you the pulse. If its pulsing on its own, when the shower is turned off, then yes, a non-return valve (lightly sprung) normally just in the hot outlet should fix this, however be mindful that if you are borderline negative head, the extra restriction could slow down the flow, furthering your problems with non-activation - the floats are designed to lift when your natural flow is a litre of water in 30 seconds, through the pump and out of the shower on both hot AND cold.

With regards to buying a positive head pump, the RSP100 is positive and the negative alternative is the RP100TU now. However you need to ask the question of how old the pump is, if its a new installation there is the potential that it could be a negative head issue but if the pump has functioned for a period of time and recently started doing this, then its more likely something is having an effect on the pump.

We have a Pumpwise technical support line that would be more than happy to run through everything with you if you would like to give them a call with your serial number.

Its a local rate number 01915162002.

Cheers

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi Ken,

It does happen on both pumps, and when it happens it happens on both pumps. Like this morning, my wife had a shower this morning, and I (after playing golf) wanted a shower but it just started pulsing. I left it for about 10-15mins, and then it started fine.

Yesterday we had showers in the the morning, and tried to have one in the evening and it started pulsing.

It is like this all the time. We tend to have showers one after the other, as once youve turned it off it wont come straight back on.

It is also been said that it could be an air lock but I dont see how I could get air into it.

I will give te support line a call on Monday.

HAve you ever had anyone else saying that they suffer fron similar symptoms?

thanks,

Carl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back