Salamander Shower Pump, Delay in Operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Salamander shower pump which was correctly fitted and installed approximately two years ago. It operated for the first 18 months without fault. However, over the last six months there is and increasing delay between the time the shower is turned on and the pump activating. This delay is now arround 3-5 minutes. Once the pump initiates it operates perfectly. I am concerned about the delay and fear one day it will pack up altogether. Replacement is an option but clearly expensive. What possible causes are there and can I service the pump. We are in a hard water area. Could it be this?

Sponsored Links
I have a delay in mine, usually about 4-5 seconds first shower in the morning after the shower hasn't been used for the longest period.

Mine is a new installation and I had a problem with 'water bounce' where the pump 'pulsed' on and off when we shut off a hot water tap elsewhere in the house. Salamander sent me a check valve to install on the hot outlet of the pump which cured the problem but started the minor pump delay.

Obviously at the moment waiting just a few seconds isn't a problem, but if you have a check valve installed on your outlet and it's sticking, I wonder if this could be the cause.

I would ring the Salamander Pumpwise helpline, they are very good and seem to have heard all the problems before.

Let us know how you go on.

I had exactly the same problem when I fitted a new bar/mixer in my bathroom.

My salamander pump would delay before it kicked in and the longer the shower was not used, the longer the delay.

I guessed there was no negative demand to the pump so assumed a blockage or head of pressure somewhere so I removed the check valves from the new mixer and BAM PROBLEM SOLVED.

I called salamander who told me that the check valves were not necessary but anyhow I removed the check valves from the old mixer/bar and DOUBLE BAM.

Problem still solved and I have check valves in the new mixer.

FAULT: (in my case) Check valves that were either too sticky or that needed too much force to move the spring.

The original check valves were considerably softer than the new ones.

Sponsored Links
I have a Salamander shower pump which was correctly fitted and installed approximately two years ago. It operated for the first 18 months without fault. However, over the last six months there is and increasing delay between the time the shower is turned on and the pump activating. This delay is now arround 3-5 minutes. Once the pump initiates it operates perfectly. I am concerned about the delay and fear one day it will pack up altogether. Replacement is an option but clearly expensive. What possible causes are there and can I service the pump. We are in a hard water area. Could it be this?

There are two things to look into as quite rightly pointed out check that the nrv's in the shower are clean and if nessasary lubricate with silicone grease.

The other thing to check is the flow switches or float that activates them these obiously can get limescaled up and might need a clean, there are in the outlet side of the pump where the flexible connectors join the pump, there will be a plastic cross section holding them in place.

This issue has no wear or detriment to the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back