Salander v Showerforce Easiboost pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new Bathroom suite fitted in Apri/May of this year.

The original pump used for many years without issues was a Showerforce Easiboost pump.

Having a new bathroom complete with new shower cubicle etc., thought I'd change the shower pump too to a Salamander CT50. Two or Three months down the line it failed. Going through the lengthy warranty proceedure with Salamander, I purchased another Salamander CT75, now this has failed.

In both cases when they failed during a shower, I checked various things and found by burning my fingers the motor body was so hot but no smell of over heating etc. The failed pumps, the impellors can be rotated, but if the motors are switched on there appears to be a arcing sound not a buzzing sound as when motors are stalled or will not turn etc

Did a flow test from the rainwater head for both HW and CW each for 2ltrs at 1min 20secs. The base of the cold water storage tank is approx 60cm above the rainwater head. There are no kinks etc in the anti-vibration pipes as they are virtually straight.

Now Salamander are saying I should have used a negative head pump. Since I have put the old Showerforce pump back in operation giving as it appears the same performance as the failed pumps. Yet it runs quietly and cool after 2 showers lasting 4/5mins for each person.

So why should one pump run ok and others fail overheating etc.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I've had no end of trouble with the Salamander CT range, think they just aren't very well made. Similar to you, I had a customer who had one replaced under warranty. The Salamander engineer produced a report suggesting the system needed upgrading when the replacement pump was fitted, so this was done exactly in line with the report and the new pump lasted just 3 months. Better off with Stuart Turner pumps, never known one of them to fail prematurely

Thanks,
But in anyones opinion,
Although the flow test may seem low at the rainwater head, but the pump is some 2.8mts below the base of the cold water tank. The cold water supply to the pump is 15mm from the storage tank and 22mm to the hot water cylinder from the tank.

Should a negative head pump be used as suggested by Salamander or are they protecting themselves from a warranty claim.

As history shows the Showerforce pump has not had any issues over the years of service.?

It's not the height difference between the pump and the tank that matters, it's the height difference between the outlet (shower head) and the base of the tank

Sponsored Links
Ok.

Am I wasting my time trying to claim for a pump failure with Salamander with the flow test result even if another manufacturers pump has no issues under the same conditions. ?

They certainly won't be interested in the results given by another manufacturer's pump. Whether you're wasting your time or not rather depends on whether it is correctly installed or not. If it is correctly installed, you may have a chance at a warranty claim

OK,
Any idea of how hot a Salamander CT75 should be at normal operating conditions.
Should you be able to touch the pump motor body.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back