Salt like growth on Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting some strange salt like stuff growing on the bricks on the front of my house, its not happening on any of the other sides of the house just the front, its got so bad on a few of the bricks the front of them has crumbled away and will need replaced.

Does anybody have any idea what I should do to fix this?

Sponsored Links
I quickly read the Wikipedia article and what I took from it was that unless particular chemicals have been applied to the wall, this must be primary efflorescence and not harmful? But that can't be the case given the damage Mikazza reports associated with the problem?

Sponsored Links
Where is the DPC in that picture? Is it below the slabs? If so, you've got some digging to do.

Primary efflorescence, that one, and the spalling, or splitting of the bricks, is due to frost damage.
No problem with the former, and the latter can often be helped by a coat of Johnson's Waterseal or similar.
The DPC issue does need a look at!
John :)

If the DPC needs looking at, you may want to consider a chemical damp proof product which you inject into the mortar joints or brickwork...

Agree with previous comments though looks like classic efflorescence!

Wire brush off. Don't soak or it will go back in. Common problem some materials have more salt content than others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back