Salts on brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an ongoing problem with salts on a certain section of brick work over the last two years , constantly having to use some chemical to remove , it has eaten a little bit of brickwork over time.

The thing is it has been going on for such a long period of time, it is not a new build and after having a look on google there is no obvious sign that the brick work would have become wet, so no leaking pipes (its outside kitchen wall), not a heavily weather area

I then noticed this on the bay window at the front on some pointing and have treated that today

For the life of me i cant work out what is causing it, it seems very localized.

Sponsored Links
If it's efflorescence then you can't wash it off or use a chemical , and if you try you make it worse.

Thanks I think it is .I am confused as there is a blue brick damp proof course underneath so no idea how it's getting damp

I thought at one stage it might have been to do with the kitchen appliances against the wall. But everything is dry and it's a cavity wall.

Sponsored Links
Clearly it's efflorescence and trying to wash it off with anything will only disolve the salts and get them reabsorbed back into the brickwork;
brushing with a stiff bristle brush is the way to remove them.

Despite what you say, there must be recurring dampness from some cause; the salts can only be deposited on the surface when the dampness dries out, therefore water must be present, even if intermittently.

How many courses of blue brick are there forming the dpc ?

The damp course is two blue bricks. I think I might run a small chemical damp course just above the blue brick line and see if that does the trick

The damp course is two blue bricks. I think I might run a small chemical damp course just above the blue brick line and see if that does the trick
Staffordshire Blues in the right mortar are usually good as a dpc.
But do they run through the thickness of the wall, or are they only on the outer face?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back