Salty residue on walls adjacent closed off fireplace. Damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have jsut bought a basement flat in Brighton. There are signs of damp on the walls next to a fireplace which has been closed off and not ventilated. The previous owner was told that the walls should be injected, but I can't see why only this one wall has been affected.

Is it possible that rain is coming down the chimney and then seeping out into the basement flat when it hits the ground?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
start by opening it up for an airbrick to ventilate it.

Ian , its difficult to say if it coming from rain coming down the chimney without opening it up. You say your in a basement flat , that being the case, injecting wont help the problem if the affected walls are facing the exterior. I previously had a basement flat and the only way of proofing is either dry-lining or tanking. Dont freak out though becuase it never as bad as it seems. also , watch out becuase everybody wants to cash in on damp problems.

First , get a dehumidfier (£40 B&Q on lewes rd) , problem could be because of poor ventolation. place near problem walls and give it a couple of weeks. Are you any good with plastering?

Sponsored Links
I would get a plastic vent cover and glue it over the plasterboard (chances are, it will be plasterboard) with silicon sealer. (You will know the size of hole to cut once you have actually acquired the vent cover). Once you have cut the hole, you can have a look in the void with a torch and even put your hand in to see how wet it is in there. I reckon just putting the vent in will solve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back