Salus RT500RF:Heating keeps coming on when thermostat is set to low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I’d be really grateful if anyone could help with a problem I’m having.
So I have a Exclusive 24 boiler and the wireless thermostat is a Salus RT500RF. The heating keeps coming on even when the thermostat is set lower than the current temperature. Right now the current temperature stated is 21 degrees, but is set to 14 degrees but the heating has still come on. I have spent days reading manuals, online forums and messing about with the thermostat I’m not sure what else I can do, it’s driving me bonkers. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with the receiver.
Thanks
Dawn

Sponsored Links
Hello Dawn,

Is this a new issue,or has it always happened? Is it showing as a demand, or are the radiators just coming on?

Hello Dawn,

Is this a new issue,or has it always happened?

To be honest, I have no idea! I just moved into this house 3 weeks ago. I just thought I’d see if anyone here could help me resolve the issue before I pestered my landlord.

Hello Dawn,

Is this a new issue,or has it always happened? Is it showing as a demand, or are the radiators just coming on?

Oops sorry I didn’t answer the second question! I think it’s showing as a demand, the green and red lights are both on on the receiver if that’s what you mean?

Sponsored Links
have you tried changing the batteries?
the receiver unit should have a power light, permanently lit, and a signal received light. on when it gets a signal and off when the temp is reached.

i

Oops sorry I didn’t answer the second question! I think it’s showing as a demand, the green and red lights are both on on the receiver if that’s what you mean?

Yes that’s what I mean. What happens when you turn it up past the set temperature, eg take it to 22, does it go off?

Yes that’s what I mean. What happens when you turn it up past the set temperature, eg take it to 22, does it go off?

No it’s just stays on, I’ve had to turn it off at the boiler to make the heating go off.

have you tried changing the batteries?
the receiver unit should have a power light, permanently lit, and a signal received light. on when it gets a signal and off when the temp is reached.

i

I haven’t but it’s worth a go, thanks. I presumed it didn’t have anything to do with that as the receiver seems to be doing what it’s supposed to be doing, just not when it’s supposed to :confused:

Old thermostat these days and replaced loads. Look near the boiler and you might find a little white box (receiver ) with on and off. Try selecting the off switch and see if it shuts the boiler down. Is the heating on 24/7.

Old thermostat these days and replaced loads. Look near the boiler and you might find a little white box (receiver ) with on and off. Try selecting the off switch and see if it shuts the boiler down. Is the heating on 24/7.

Yes I have tried switching it on and off a few times now, and it does shut it down but when I turn it back on again I’m back to square one. I’ve tried resetting the thermostat, thinking it might be a communication issue but no luck.
Yes I have it set to constant on the boiler and use the wireless thermostat to control when it comes on/off, well that’s what I’m trying to do anyway o_O

Problem with modern thermostats if the program off intervals are not set to the lower room temp setting eg when off someone sets it to 21c. Then the unit will just carry on. But that should be overrides on the temp settings

rt500 had dip switches in the receiver and corresponding jumper links to remove in the sender unit when commissioning. quite common for fitters to bang them in without following instructions.

if the installer next door fitted the same controller and did the same then next door could be controlling your boiler!

there is a fairly good range on these rt500's could be anyone!

get the installation checked out. look in the back of the sender unit, if all five jumpers are in place , the unit was never fitted correctly.

look at the installation instructions

Problem with modern thermostats if the program off intervals are not set to the lower room temp setting eg when off someone sets it to 21c. Then the unit will just carry on. But that should be overrides on the temp settings

Thanks for your help and advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back