SALUS RT500RF PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I had a new boiler installed 1 year ago (WB Greenstar Si Compact) and it's great but I'm convinced the SALUS RT500RF the fitter also installed is wildly inaccurate.
As I type this sitting in my kitchen the Boiler is off because the Salus says the temp is 18 degrees. It's bloody freezing though so I'm not convinced that's anywhere near right.
I've set it to come on at 15 degrees at present.
Anyway, anyone got experience of this before? Or can it be re-calibrated easily? Or shall I just upgrade it to a newer more reliable model?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
P.S. I keep the Salus on my tiled floor near the un-unsed fireplace so it's not sitting near a rad and should be picking up a colder temp if anything!?!)
Thanks
P

Sponsored Links
worcester used to say that salus had compatability issues ,dont know if thats the case with newer ones

thanks for your reply.
thing is, if i put the temp up on the salus thermostat to 25 for example it signals the boiler and the boilers kicks in no problem, so i think that side of it is fine - i just think the temp readings on the thermostat are rubbish!
my assumption is, and i may be going wrong here, but is it the actual salus wireless unit itself that reads the ambient temp around it for the boiler?
P

Sponsored Links
Same issue my Salus reads 24.5 but the actual temperature is 21.0. I was hoping someone would know how to set it back to the correct room temperature. But it looks like we have to put up with garbage goods.

I think Horstmann and Salus are badges used on same products? I had problems with Horstmann, at first it seemed really good, but slowly lost RF coms, and it did not fail safe, so the signal would tell the base to heat or cool, then fail to tell it to stop, if it was too hot and I set thermostat high then back down it would then turn off, same other way, it seems it sent signal once, and if anything got in the way, then it would simply continue doing what ever it was doing and did not repeat signal to heat or cool.

Slowly I had to put the thermostat closer and closer to the receiver, in the end just 4 foot away. The Honeywell would fail safe, if no signal in ½ hour it closed down, but not the Horstmann HRFS1 it just continued, and it was in mothers house went there one day living room at 32°C it failed to switch off.

The hard wired Horstmann were very good, had the DRT1 for years, did really good job, but the wireless were worse than useless, if you alter the wireless thermostat up or down past actually temperature and back again it often works, give it a go and see if same fault.

My strong advice is to get rid of the Salus. They are junk with a very poor user interface. What has recently come onto the market is the EPH Combipack which has RF and OpenTherm. They are available online for around £50. They are OpenTherm, which your boiler has (maybe with an adaptor), or a volt free contact. It is advised to connect to OpenTherm as the performance and efficiency all around is greatly improved. The EPH has a superb simple user interface. A few Youtube vids are online explaining how to use it. It can be used as a simple stat or a timer. It complies with Boiler Plus.

The EPH can be used a simple stat by using the OFF and MAN keys. The up + and down - keys and the red OK key. Simple. Even pensioners can use it with no problem.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back