Salus RT500RF temperature override issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... I've just installed a Salus RT500RF. The heating comes on and off, when I raise and and lower the temperature on the thermostat, as you would expect. I've set all the timers to 5 degrees, as I don't need use of the timer function. All was fine till I came home today, to find the house was like a furnace. The heating had been on. When I checked the thermostat, the temperature override was at 22 degrees, give or take a degree. I had left it at 5 degrees that morning. I put the thermo back down to 5 degrees and left it. I nipped out for a few hours, when I came back, the house felt hot, but rads were near enough cold, so I can't tell if the heating had been on... However, when I pressed the down arrow, on the thermo, it showed 21.5 degrees. I've changed the pins, on the back of the controller, and thermo, and reset them both, by killing all power to them, for a minute, just in case there is another device interfering with mine. Can anyone explain why the thermo, is going back to a temp override temperature of 22 degree? I've found if I put the box to sleep, then turn it back on the override time will go back to 22 degrees also. The thermo has brand new Duracell batteries in. I have also got the operating instructions, it doesn't cover anything on this subject. Any help or advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried resetting the frequency as one of your neighbours may also have this device and using the same frequency and controlling your heating.

Hi... thanks for the reply. As far as I'm aware you can only change the codes on the transmitter, and receiver units, I don't know if this is what you're referring to? As I said in my message, I've already changed those codes and reset the both units, so the new codes override. However, I do believe I solved this problem. I realised the timer was set to 7-day, and not 5-2. This meant that every individual day had to have the timer set five times. Saturday was still set on the default programme. I must have overlooked it, when lowering the temp on each setting for each day. So, I was turning the thermo down and then the timer, for that day, was taking it back up to 22 degrees. I've since changed it back to 5-2 and put everything down to 5 degrees, and the issue seems resolved. It seems a bit nonsensical, and long winded, having to turn a timer off in this way. A simple timer on/off option seems much more logical, without pushing the boundaries of technology and expense. Anyways... I thought I'd put a follow up, people rarely do, and maybe someone will find this mini wireless thermostat saga useful. If it serves to slightly enrich one persons life, then it's not all been in vain.

If you turn the temperature down (or up) during any particular time period, the temp should remain at the temp you have just set it to, until the next time period.
They should not immediately return back to that time period setting!
This is how these controls work.
I can only assume that you have been manually overriding just perform the next timed period, therefore the setting will then automatically revert to the temp set for that period.

It seems that you did not do any research prior to purchasing the RF control, they have for a long time always had period settings, the stat does never and has never gone in to a off mode.
It does explain this in the instruction manual.

Sponsored Links
Again... thanks for another reply that seems to disregard the content of my post. You are wrong to assume. I state quite clearly, in my first post,
All was fine till I came home today, to find the house was like a furnace. The heating had been on. When I checked the thermostat, the temperature override was at 22 degrees, give or take a degree.
and,
I nipped out for a few hours, when I came back, the house felt hot, but rads were near enough cold, so I can't tell if the heating had been on... However, when I pressed the down arrow, on the thermo, it showed 21.5 degrees.

As for researching, I didn't do any other research besides finding the most suitably priced model I could afford. From what I read, they have the best range, for their price... to me this was the most important aspect. Nothing was mentioned about the timer function. I don't think I'm alone in not trying to find out if a timer unit has a on/off function. I would wager the majority of units have this feature. I am also NOT that hung up on the issue, although do I still think it's a nonsensical and long winded way to do things. Unfortunately, as is the case with nearly everything I purchase, I read the instruction manual post purchase. The purchase is a prerequisite to the manual.

Ps... The issue is resolved. The timer function was running for a Saturday still. You can consider this matter now closed.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back