Samsung Freezer not cold enough after power cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Samsung RSG5UCRS american style fridge freezer.
We had a power cut earlier in the week, and since then food isn't freezing.

I can hear the fan working. The setting for the freezer is showing -25 degrees which is the temperature you want it to be, and when I open the door it stays on -25, which I believe indicates that is the temperature it actually is.

However, it isn't freezing. I threw out all of the ice cubes last night, and it has only madew about 6 since. It would usually have filled the bucket again.

Now for the interesting bit. If I power it off and then back on. The desired temperature is -25 again. But if I open the door, the actual temperature is only -4. I leave it 30 mins, and the temp has gone colder to -6, so it looks better. But leaving longer its back to desired -25, actual 25. If I then power it off, the actual is actually -4 again, not -25.

So it seems like it thinks it is colder than it is, and stops trying. Unless it really is trying and just can't get the temp down.

As I say, this has all been since a power cut on Monday.

Is there anything that is obviously damaged? Or is it possible something could have become blocked whilst the power was off (around 8 hours, but we never opened the door once)

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Further info.
I've had it apart.

I found the thermostat in the top of the freezer. I tried warming this with a lighter to see if I could make it change temperature, and it didn't want to. Still reading -25 degrees C. It was warming up slightly, but then I had the door open. So perhaps it was working, but just takes a long time to register to avoid swinging back and forth. So perhaps this is working correctly.

I also tried disconnecting it completely, which produced a fault.

From the front, I removed the panel behind the shelves. There was a fan inside there which never came on. There was a tiny bit of ice on the cooling fins, but very slight, I do not think that is the issue.

I then took the lower rear panel off behind. Lots of dust which I hoovered.

However at no point did the fan or compressor come on. I even restarted it to see what happens. It kinda clicks a little then does nothing.

Here is a video of it being powered on at the mains:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-t_pu2oriUG3aBWjz-NUoE4aI7wETX2B/view?usp=sharing

The temperature guage on the front now shows 9 degrees, yet the freezer isn't powering up, so despite my earlier reservations I think the thermostat is probably OK, and its something else preventing it from actualy cooling.

Any ideas, or could it be too many things?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back