samsung fridge freezer noise on closing fridge door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a samsung SR0L36 fridge freezer that makes a short whining noise after the fridge door is closed. It doesn't happen when the freezer door is closed.
I'm guessing there's a pump that removes the air from the fridge, but I haven't been able to find a service manual to track it down.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Poss ice on the fan in the fridge. A defrost for 24 hrs will cure it.

it happens on the fridge only, and it runs at 4 degrees C, so it can't be frozen up can it? If it shared the fan with the freezer I'd get the same problem when closing the freezer door?

it happens on the fridge only, and it runs at 4 degrees C, so it can't be frozen up can it? If it shared the fan with the freezer I'd get the same problem when closing the freezer door?

No it don't work like that, it's just the motor restarting, to rechill the fridge, ice has strange properties, once frozen, can be held frozen at relatively high temps, due to it's core frozen nature. That's why ice on the roads becomes black ice, as the ice has formed, but is kept formed, even via thaw, ie see thru ice..

Sponsored Links
There's often only one cooling element in a fridge freezer, and that's in the freezer, chilling everything to -20 or something. When you shut the fridge door, a fan draws some of the cold air from the freezer compartment to cool the fridge. That may or may not also start the freezer chiller runing, depending on exactly how cold the freezer compartment is at that particular moment.

Ice forms when the temperature is below freezing, but it doesn't usually melt again until the temperature is above 4 degrees, so ice can form in the cold air blast drawn from the freezer and stay frozen in the fridge compartment at 4 degrees.

There's often only one cooling element in a fridge freezer, and that's in the freezer, chilling everything to -20 or something. When you shut the fridge door, a fan draws some of the cold air from the freezer compartment to cool the fridge.

I defrosted it for 24 hours but the noise is still there....so that fan you mention could well be the culprit. Any idea where I should look for it?

May be a long shot but just had something that sounds similar with an Electrolux fridge freezer.

Check the drain pipes that go into the evaporator tray on top of the compressor are they all clear 'the electrolux drain pipe was partially blocked at the bottom end and caused it to make a whining noise when the door shut forcing the air out'

Cant hurt to look

How old is the freezer? Samsung had some serious problems with ice forming on the fans, and you have quoted the precise symptons. We had the same problem, and I was trying to find a local engineer when I stumbled across a report about, I think, Watchdog, having them on their tv programme. I phoned Samsung, and they came out and repaired FOC, even though it was over 1 year. Then, under pressure, probably, fom the TV programme, we recieved a FOC 5 yr guarantee.

It's toolate and I'm too tired to look further, but I've found a link that may be useful. It is a diffferent model number, but may be related:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2403

hope this helps. Please let us know

Sorry, that was the wsrong link! Try this, it is still different model, but it may be worth a (free) call

Hi!

I have the exact same problem, on my brand new Samsung fridge. Did you find a solution???

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back