samsung r530 laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CAn anyone explain why after connecting to internet, I cannot access my shortcuts on screen, I have to restart laptop to get back into shortcuts,
[/list]

Sponsored Links
Need a little more info please. Is the laptop on a domain ?? Have you run a virus scan ??

I have downloaded AVG virus protection, no domain name just internet access by means of modem broadband, I have spoken to Place of purchase they say go to start type msconfig and disable done all that still the same?The only thing I can think of I downloaded a file from US site to run Lexmark Printer 1100 series, but I think problem was there before that? :

Gaynor, when you say you can't access your shortcuts, can you be a bit more specific please? Which shortcuts? Where are they (i.e. are they on your desktop?)? What are they for? Does it affect all of your shortcuts, or just some? Also, which version of Windows are you using? And when did this symptom begin? Have you previously, at some point, been able to access the internet and access your shortcuts at the same time? Which browser are you using to access the internet - IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc, etc?

Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
yes shortcuts on desktop freeze when on internet, also as soon as I have disconnected,I then restart computer to get to shortcuts on desktop,
I can access all from the start menu, when on internet
The shortcuts are Sage accounts, Office and the shortcuts that appeared when I set up computor, running windows 7
access internet from exployer, don't know if its relavant but use orange dongle, tried installing thompson modem 330 but that is not compliant with windows 7!
I hope this makes some sort of sense to you? you prob realise I am not comp technical minded

Ok, it could be the AVG Security Toolbar in IE that's causing the problem. You can confirm this by disabling the toolbar in IE (Tools, Manage Add-ons), you may need to restart your machine to see if this works or not.

Alternatively, you may be running IE8 32bit under Windows7 64bit - that has apparently caused similar symptoms. If you are using Windows 7 64bit, install IE8 64bit too and that should solve it.

I do know its windows 7 running on 32bit, if I disable toolbar IE will this stop AVG working as protection?

No, AVG will still continue to protect you from downloaded nasties.

The primary function of the Security Toolbar is to check the links that are returned from search you perform in Google, Bing, Yahoo or whatever search engine you use. You'll probably see a big green tick next to each result returned, this means that the Security Toolbar has checked the link and determined that it's a valid one. I think you'll see a red cross next to results which AVG has identified as being a phishing site, for example.

The security toolbar is an add-on to the core functionality of AVG, a bit of a "bells-and-whistles" feature really. You can safely disable it. Here's the instructions from the AVG website :-

http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-1643#num-1643

Thank you very much, for info I will try the solution ASAP and will get back to you thank you once again for input much appreciated.

I have actioned your solution, and all working perfectly, desktop shortcuts no longer freeze after internet, thank you once again

Sponsored Links
Back