Laptop very slow when not connected to network cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help me by thinking this puzzle through?

Laptop is a Vaio with XP. When working overseas I use a Vodafone dongle if there's no hotel wifi. Either way, it works fast and well. Recently our purchasing manager handed me a spare dongle to try. It didn't work so our IT bloke had a fiddle with the laptop, changing a few settings.

The dongle still doesn't work, the old dongle does work. Now however the laptop is taking 20-30 seconds to open any application like Firefox, anything on the Start menu, any folder on the desktop. BUT.... any Word or Excel document with a shortcut on the desktop still opens instantly. When the laptop is connected to the network cable at the office it all works impeccably with no delays.

The IT bloke says he hasn't changed anything. I can't do a system restore because it's not permitted by admin. Can anybody figure out from the symptoms I've described, what the laptop is doing when off the network cable that makes it so slow to open up most applications, except those documents with direct shortcuts?

It's got to be something to do with searching for that non-functioning dongle I guess but as an IT illiterate user I'm at a loss. I'm beginning to think our IT bloke is another in a long line of muppets we've employed then realised were no good. I need to get this thing working properly before going away on my next overseas trip or it's going to drive me nuts.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the best idea is to see if you can do a system restore. Thsi will restore your registry and the state the computer was in before the guy had a fiddle.

Its not as scary as it sounds - but you com[puter might not be backing up. Check in programs / accessories / system tools/ system restore and see if you have a restore point before the fiddle. if you do restore the laptop in safe mode (both when you instigate the resore and when the resotre asks you to reboot the laptop).

Can you get at device manager or network via the control panel?
Is it all apps from desktop that are slow (except office)?
How much memory do you have installed?
He may have loaded office toolbar which is eating your systems resources waiting to start.

Sponsored Links
Back