Samsung RL56 - Ice at bottom of freezer and water dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We've got a Samsung RL56 Fridge/Freezer. We're getting a sheet of ice at the bottom of the freezer compartment plus sometimes water drips out of the door

From a bit of research it may be a 'blocked drain' or just need defrosting

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
all freezers or f/f even frost free should be defrosted at least once a year

it does sound like the drain is blocked
you need something like stiff bit off wire by stiff i mean if you hold it you can wrap it round your finger but with resistance

Sponsored Links
If it is a frost-free freezer, and if the internal ducts have become blocked, it may take 24 hours to melt and run out. Open the freezer door and unplug it. Take out all the food and eat it.

Wait until it has stopped dripping either into the cabinet, or into the dish behind the appliance, on top of the motor. Keep sponging out this dish (it will be dirty) to prevent water overflowing into any electrical part.

I have not as yet had any problems with our new fridge/freezer but did with the old Hoover one.

The ice built up stopping the fan from turning and lucky still under warranty so Hoover guy stripped it down to remove the ice.

Since the covers normally hide from view the workings we had no idea how much ice can actually build up in that space once things go wrong. Even with covers removed it took a fan a good 1/2 hour to melt the ice enough for it to be removed so can well see it without removing the covers it would take hours for the ice to melt.

One hopes the fan is not damaged.

Did not check with fridge/freezer but the freezer has covers over the motor so one can't see the tray on top of the motor without some dismantling and with a 10 year warranty on the motor and inverter you don't want to void the warranty.

To speed up de-frost I use a standard fan no heat just a simple desk fan but the question is how you will know when the ice has melted.

Since I now have a RL60 would love to know how you get on?

all freezers or f/f even frost free should be defrosted at least once a year

it does sound like the drain is blocked
you need something like stiff bit off wire by stiff i mean if you hold it you can wrap it round your finger but with resistance

Have frost free fridge/freezer, never defrosted it in 10years.
That's the whole point of a frost free unit.
Frequent problem with the Samsung is the area around the fan can freeze stopping the fan or restricting the air flow , had that with our side by side, cleared the ice and smeared grease around area to prevent ice forming again.
When you open the fridge door do you hear a clicking noise [fan catching on ice]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back