Samsung RS21JLBG water leak when dispensing water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought this along with the house ~3 years ago. Just replaced the water filter and was flushing a lot of water through, when it became apparent that water was running across the floor.

The water only leaks when it's dispensing, so the leak is after the dispensing valve.

I've got the RS21 series service manual, but a quick skim doesn't show where the water pipes are - I'm assuming that one of the most likely causes is a plastic pipe that's cracked with age, or a joint that has come apart, but I guess there must be more possibilities.

I'm open to advice as to where to look and how much I have to disassemble to diagnose and get to the source of the problem.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think this is the same as the LG produced ones (at the time) you have single cold water feed in at the bottom rear and then two feeds out of separate solenoid valves, one feeds the ice machine the other the water out. you need to take of the back and call for drink by pressing the button but also need to be down looking at valves to see if it is coming from the valve or from a hidden area running back out to the floor. If its the valve just change it, if its the pipe as far as I can see its totally hidden and not really repairable without wrecking the fridge. Basically a throw away or do not use the water (just use the ice)

Thanks, delmel.

So the solenoid valve I'm interested in is at the bottom rear, yes? The service manual isn't specific, and even makes it look as if it's just above the control panel.

It's like the Haynes manual problem: the car on the front looks like yours, but when you get to the bit you need to repair, it's completely different. :(

If its like mine which I think it is, the valve is behind a panel on the rear right hand side at the bottom where you will see the white inlet pipe entering. From that you will see two pipes and valves one feeds the ice box, the other the drinking water. Get someone to fill while you see where the water runs from, if its hidden its not good. I personally just use the ice box now and will get a new one when we move this year hopefully.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks again, delmel. Fortunately the water dispenser isn't at all important to us, so, as you say, we can easily just not use it. At some stage, though, my curiosity will overtake and I'll get down behind the thing and take a look.

I finally got to look at it yesterday. The pipe is indeed cracked where it passes over a condenser. Presumably the constant heat has embrittled the plastic.

In theory it could be repaired by cutting out the cracked section and joining in a replacement piece as far as the solenoid valve - the problem being that it's in a pig of a place to get to. There's also not much pipe between the end of the crack and the grommet where it goes up into the body.

I'm surprised at the route the pipe takes. It would appear to be more sensible to take it below the condenser rather than above it. It would just need to be prevented from fouling the fan blades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back