Sand & cement, plaster, or tiling render before tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed a small area of tiles and plaster from a brick wall in order to fit recessed pipes for a shower. The pipes are now fitted so I need to re-tile over them. I have to match up the level with the existing tiles, so that means I'll need to build the wall out to a depth of 30mm before tiling. The area is around 300mm x 600mm, the tiles are basic 150mm ceramic. What would be the best option for this? It looks like plaster or cement render will do the job but will take a long time to dry (weeks?). After googling, I can see 'Ardex AM100' looks like the right thing ('rapid set, no slump, 2-30mm depth') but I have no experience with it. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Another option - bonding plaster and then a few layers of 6mm backerboard to build it up to 30mm. That way I won't have a long drying time and I'll have a flat surface for tiling.

Sponsored Links
I decided to go for building it up in layers of 6mm backerboard and flexible tile adhesive, and then fixed through with hammer fixings with plaster washers. I didn't want to deal with the drying times of plaster or render. SBR on the brickwork before starting. Flexible tile adhesive was recommended for the backerboard I bought. I wondered about putting scrim tape in the initial, thick layer of tile adhesive?

I think expanding foam adhesive with only one layer of backerboard would have worked well but I only use foam if I have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back