Preperation of shower area before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About to tile shower area, one wall (internal wall) has aquapanel, the other is an outside wall which is multi-finish on cement render, what preperation should be done before tiling, should the new plaster finish wall or auapanel wall be primed with tile primer, do either surfaces need tanking?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
to be honest i wouldnt tile on multifinnish in a shower ,your best bet would be to chip it off and then unibond the render. good luck,
Andy

to be honest i wouldnt tile on multifinnish in a shower ,your best bet would be to chip it off and then unibond the render.
Fark orf! Utter pap!

For total peace of mind in ANY shower environment, you need to tank the walls, end of. Anything else, whether it's aquapanel, ply, wediboard etc is just a second best IMO. The whole idea is to keep moisture away from the substrate, and the only preparation (as far as I'm aware) that will do that 100%, is tanking.

to be honest i wouldnt tile on multifinnish in a shower ,your best bet would be to chip it off and then unibond the render.
Fark orf! Utter pap!

For total peace of mind in ANY shower environment, you need to tank the walls, end of. Anything else, whether it's aquapanel, ply, wediboard etc is just a second best IMO. The whole idea is to keep moisture away from the substrate, and the only preparation (as far as I'm aware) that will do that 100%, is tanking.

Thanks for that, I was not too sure about previous post as I know unibonding is not that gooda idea!!!

Also you tilers must come across hundreds of shower tiling projects that have finish plaster!!!

Sponsored Links
Also you tilers must come across hundreds of shower tiling projects that have finish plaster!!!
Yep, and most of it is mouldy and the tiles are almost dropping off - go figure.

Actually I meant as potentioal tiling jobs that would need tanking first.....and not asking/requiring the customer to hack the finish plaster off first! :)

yes i agree that tanking is the best and the most expensive option if done properly , the cheapest option is to chip off the multi finnish and seal the render with a weak mix of pva and make sure you use a cement based glue and a good waterproof grout and really work the grout into the joints.
surely the multi finnish would still have to be removed before you tanked it.

the cheapest option is to chip off the multi finnish and seal the render with a weak mix of pva and make sure you use a cement based glue and a good waterproof grout and really work the grout into the joints.
surely the multi finnish would still have to be removed before you tanked it.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: A bal tanking kit costs around £45,1 coat of primer and 2 coats of of top coat will only take about an hour tops (total time),I cant see how hacking off plaster then pva on render will be any cheaper or less time consuming,if using a tanking kit the way the manufacturer describes is wrong then Im afraid Im going to continue to do it wrong :!:

so it is alright to tank ontop of skimming, if you are talking rolls royce job then take the skimming off

Let me get this right. You're saying to properly prepare a wall for tiling, you knock off the finish plaster and tile onto the bonding coat? Or are you suggesting you knock off all the plaster back to the brickwork, then pva and tile onto that?

so it is alright to tank ontop of skimming
Of course,that is why there is an acrylic primer in the kit for base coating.

if you are talking rolls royce job then take the skimming off
Where does this take the skim coat off idea come from??
Excuse me for asking Mr Partridge but are you a tiler by trade?

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-101

http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/product/175/mira-4400-multicoat-tanking-kit-solution-6-litres

http://tileadhesive.co.uk/products/ancillaries/wet_room_system.html

Checkout the three links above and read the info,each one is clearly stated as being for use on..................plaster/skim coat......nuff said ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back