Sanders and Vac's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a painter by trade, but as part of the refurb job it's one of the jobs that need to be done. Now, as I've got a portable vac I use this with my sander and get great results and seem (to me) to speed up the prep work no end. Also, between coats and a higher grit level seems to really improve the finish - esp on wood. My litmus test is not to look at the finish, but to feel it. If I feel anything, it gets a little zap !

Now, when I see jobbing painters, I don't seem them using these tools, just a elbow grease, heaps of paint dust and a pretty swift painting shuffle ! (By that I mean they paint a hell of a lot quicker than me).

I would appreciate your comments.

p.s. Their are times I do revert to hand sanding in awkward corners or shapes that I really cant move my sander around.

Sponsored Links
The best thing about your method is cutting down on the dust. I get fed up looking like a snowman pole sanding walls and ceilings. Woodwork i've always done by hand and dont think a sander would make a lot of difference on the average job. I have often thought about getting something like a mirka ceros but i'm trying to watch the money at the moment as times arn't getting any easier just now. I could strap my henry to a sander but i just find it a bit cack handed.
Nothing wrong in what your doing though if it works for you no reason to change and i think quite a few decs mechanically abrade. Sanding between coats also really helps the finish, good on you for doing it right, good prep is the key to a good finish

On one refub, we had one large door we made up from a 4ft x 8ft door blank. It was massive. I painted/sanded this about 6 times going through the grits and the end result was stunning. Took a few days. But, as it was going to be touched every day, it was worth it. Well, I thought so :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back