Spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

what’s the best way to prep my spindles and handrail for painting.

looks like it was previously oil based gloss that has been painted over with water based satinwood or something. It’s peeling like chewing gum.

I have a paint scraper but obviously on the detail bits isn’t so good. Can’t get in with my mouse sander very well either. Hand sanding doesn’t seem to be removing the chewing gum finish.

see attached image

thanks in advance

Attachments

• D48FFA22-C10F-4E13-B713-D7DFB2834A38.jpeg
    D48FFA22-C10F-4E13-B713-D7DFB2834A38.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Peeling on rails from natural oils on hands? Happens with some paints more than others

Cellulose thinners will melt waterbased finishes, as will meths (albeit much slower). The downside is that it can be messy. You might be better off trying to sand it with something like Abranet, provided that it doesn't instantly clog the abrasive.

As Wayners said, waterbased paints become soft when touched repeatedly by hands because of the oils in our skin.

Ok. I guess all that makes sense as the doors are the same around the handles. They looked ok when I moved in but when you try to clean the kids grubby paw prints that’s when it turns to chewing gum. The paint you don’t touch is fine. Just the high touch areas. I’ve replaced the doors and took off the wall mounted handrail and took that outside with a heat gun so that was ok.
I’m just left with the staircase spindles. Which is the worst but and the bit I’m stuck on

Sponsored Links
Decorating wipes or sugar soap and clean.
Zinsser BIN
Then use a water-based alkyd like crown fastflow.
You could use an oil satin but times have moved on.
I have had trouble with Johnstone's aqua satin going soft on rails and a known problem with some, but not all water based paints.
Water based Alkyds seems to resist this however follow the application data sheet. Slower drying and cure times vs acrylics

Abranet or scotchbright in the hand will be easier to remove paint or flakiness

So a combination of something like wonder wipes and some scotchbright should clean it up enough then.

is the zinsser really as good as it days? Does it really stick without sanding if you were to paint on gloss?

I only ask about the zinsser as I bought some allcoat satin but had it colour matched to a farrow and ball colour and that seemed hard work to be honest to get it to cover nice. That was also claimed to not needing priming or anything?

So a combination of something like wonder wipes and some scotchbright should clean it up enough then.

is the zinsser really as good as it days? Does it really stick without sanding if you were to paint on gloss?

I only ask about the zinsser as I bought some allcoat satin but had it colour matched to a farrow and ball colour and that seemed hard work to be honest to get it to cover nice. That was also claimed to not needing priming or anything?

As much as I like Zinsser BIN, the suggestion that you can paint over anything without worrying about prep is BS.

I worked in a house a couple of years ago. I was there to paint the new MDF cupboards. The decorators painting the rest of the £3.5m house used Zinsser Bin on every internal (previously varnished) door (no sanding). I was working there for two weeks. By the end of that time you could see chipped paint on each of the doors as furniture started being brought in.

Thanks everyone.

I’m using the heavy duty wonder wipes and it’s coming up decent to be honest.
I’m going to give the zinsser bin a go before painting but will still probably give it a light Sand to be sure.
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back