Sanding a wooden kitchen worktop process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need advice,I've moved into a new house whereby the kitchen worktops have watermarks etc on them.I've got a Makita sander but i've no idea what course sandpaper to use or what are the steps except applying three coats of Danish oil!
Anyhelp appreciated otherwise I could be sleeping on a park bench if I get this wrong!

Sponsored Links
do you think the water marks are in the finish or through to the wood., start with 120 grit and if the marks are deeper then try something coarser and then come back to 120 grit to finish, apply your finish, I wouldn't recommend Danish oil on kitchen tops, better off with 3 coats plus of something a bit more durable like junkers rustic oil. apply first coat and then denib by hand with 400 grit paper between coats. Provided you get the marks out first it should come up like new.

Thanks for the reply an advice,I don't think the watermarks are really deep tbh.

if the marks have properly stained the wood you could try oxalic acid on them but you'd need to get to bare wood first. Secondly what sander do you have - belt/oscillating/random orbit? I would have thought a random orbit would be what you'd want for this but you might save time by using a card/cabinet scraper first before sanding.

Sponsored Links
Water marks can be reduced with a hot iron over tissue, keep it moving so as not to scorch. Osmo top oil is ideal and much harder wearing than standard oils.

re oxalic acid, sour milk contains oxalic acid and can work too but be careful if using sour milk on oak as it can stain in it's own right.
Oxalic acid is particularly useful if the marks are dark, but don't forget to neutralise it with borax once the stain is removed, also make sure you blend in around the area as just doing a patch could leave the area lighter than the surrounding wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back