Sanding and re-staining a toilet seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to sand and re-stain my toilet seat. I read stuff saying to sand, stain and polythene it. Can someone advise what product to get (preferably satin finish) to polyurethane the toilet seat? TIA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
read somewhere that Ronseal advised a customer that none of thier products are suitable becuase urine splash might affect it.
I would presume that no company is going to definitely say, or guarantee, that their varnish is going to withstand urine, or even standing water.

Last edited:
Knowledge is knowing a spoof when you see one..... Wisdom is not taking it too seriously!

You stain or varnish, not both Or did you mean wood dye?
I meant wood dye. I'm a bit confused, sorry.

So just to double-check, having sanded my toilet seat made of oak (which came in mahogany finish) it is now stripped back to its natural wood colour. What's the best way to refinish it in mahogany and what should I use to achieve that. Wood dye (spirit-based or water-based?) and then varnish? Or stain?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back