Sanding lath and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the artex with a steamer (tested for asbestos, all clear) and there's a layer of tatty paint I want to remove.

Is it ok to use an electric sander or is it too aggressive and loosen the plaster on the lathes?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Gossamer, Hi.

Short answer is No Way, do not use an electric sander of whatever type on a Lath and Plaster ceiling, the vibration of the motor being forced on to the surface of the Plaster will cause the old plaster to fracture at the point where the plaster goes between the lath and areas of the ceiling plaster will fail and fall. also depending on what type of plaster and the composition of the plaster, it can at times contain sand, and if you use an electric sander the individual grains of sand detach and score the surface of the plaster left on the ceiling.

Do you have any idea what type of paint is still adhering? Oil or Emulsion?

And how much of it is there on the ceiling?

Ken.

Cheers.
I did a bit (maybe 20%) then stopped and have since finished it with a sanding block, which was actually easier.
The paint was mainly quite powdery and there was some emulsion. The ceiling was totally covered after removing the artex, which was more like textured paint actually.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back