Sanding newly plastered walls prior to painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I simply use an appropriate grade sanding block or should I be using something else? I was watching 60min makeover the other week and one of the guys was using a sanding sheet on the end of a stick to do a wall - is that common and where can I get that?

Sponsored Links
If they are newly plastered they don't need sanding. You'll ruin the surface if you do and then they'll need plastering again.

No I meant once the plaster had dried after a few days as there a few imperfections in places.

Sponsored Links
If there are some minor imperfections on the surface of the plaster, the best thing to do is give the wall/s a "mist coat of white "matt" emulsion", and then use a "fine filler" to touch up any blemishes,,, and then gently sand them down, using a fine sandpaper, (150 grit or so). If you use a rough sandpaper, you'll scratch the wall surface. As i said, it's always better to mist paint the surface first. Once you have mist painted, patched and sanded the wall surface, you're then ready to give the wall/s the coats of your chosen coloured emulsion.

I agree with joe & RC; you should never need to sand new plaster, it’s not intended for sanding. A decent plaster job should not be over polished & you should only see the odd trowel mark if any; I’ll give you a couple on a really bad day!

If your looking to take care of minor blemishes, mist coat as RC says; ordinary (own brand will do) white matt emulsion, thinned 25-30%, 2-3 coats in quick succession, leave overnight, then fill sand & re-prime any blemishes, dry again & then your finish coats.

Overdo the sanding & it will destroy the grain leaving it looking like a suede coat brushed the wrong way & need many more coats to cover & whatever you do, don't use an electric orbital sander.

whatever you do, don't use an electric orbital sander.

Richard not all plasterers plaster to your standard.

There are times when I turn up on site and discover that the finish is not absolutely perfect. I am not going to insist that the client spend more money on replastering the room again.

I decorate in the real world, I am part of a chain, often commissioned after the builder or plasterer. I have no control over the people higher up the chain.

In the real world people like Akshay have to deal with imperfections- telling them that imperfections should not exist really isn't going to help anybody.

I don't imagine that he wants to sand the ceiling just because there is nothing worthwhile watching on tv.

If there are high spots then they need to be sanded. it beggars belief that you think that hand sanding will give a better finish than a quality sander, attached to a dust extractor with the appropriate abrasives.

Richard's the daddy. If you have to sand - then you shouldn't be paying the plasterer. That's how we live in the real world. We don't pay for bad work.

Oh dear we don’t seem to be getting on too well do we :cry: . Why single me out! While you’re here, why not have a go at RC & joe :confused: ; I was merely echoing & expanding on their comments; but I am known to waffle on a bit :rolleyes: you obviously took exception to my comment on the orbital sander bit!

Richard not all plasterers plaster to your standard.
So what standard is that then? There is cowboy standard (very common) & BS standard; but if you can’t meet that, you can’t call yourself a plasterer, it's not exactly perfection either!

There are times when I turn up on site and discover that the finish is not absolutely perfect. I am not going to insist that the client spend more money on replastering the room again.
Nor would I; needs must & you have to make the best of it but it doesn’t mean you have to condone or preach it!

I decorate in the real world, I am part of a chain, often commissioned after the builder or plasterer. I have no control over the people higher up the chain.
I appreciate it depends where in the “chain” you fit &, once again, needs must. I’ve always positioned myself at or near the top end of the “food chain” rather than near the bottom. Your personal standards & expectations really can make a big difference to your achievements; you can control it, you just have to learn how! ;)

In the real world people like Akshay have to deal with imperfections- telling them that imperfections should not exist really isn't going to help anybody.
The “real world” jibe is total boll oc ks, the OP could be a merchant bwanker looking to amuse himself at the weekend for all we know. As far as I can establish from the OP’s post, he is not part of a building contractor chain or been commissioned after a cowboy builder or plasterer, he’s merely looking for good advice for his project.

I don't imagine that he wants to sand the ceiling just because there is nothing worthwhile watching on tv.
Neither would I; pointless jibe; your point is?

If there are high spots then they need to be sanded. it beggars belief that you think that hand sanding will give a better finish than a quality sander, attached to a dust extractor with the appropriate abrasives.
I didn’t (& still haven’t) looked at the links you posted but if you use an orbital sander on plaster it will totally fcuff it. If you think that’s OK, fine! Keep that sander & roller going ;)

Richard's the daddy. If you have to sand - then you shouldn't be paying the plasterer. That's how we live in the real world. We don't pay for bad work.
I smell smoke again joe :LOL: should I go & have another look :rolleyes: It is my "real world" & I can’t imagine for one minute it not yours! ;)

Richard

You strike me a being pretty intelligent yet I cannot understand why you are surprised/take offence when you criticise me and I retort.

The right sander set up will always outperform a hand sander and will have the added advantage of leaving the local atmosphere dust free.

I regularly sand plaster with no adverse effects- other than clogging the bags in the dust extractor.

I cannot understand why you are surprised/take offence when you criticise me and I retort.
How is advising the OP not to use an orbital sander on new plaster a criticism of you :?:
The right sander set up will always outperform a hand sander and will have the added advantage of leaving the local atmosphere dust free.
In some instances I would agree but not for finishing plaster or wood or paint of any sort; hand sand is more time consuming but I would chose it every time, using a linear action, not orbital.
I regularly sand plaster with no adverse effects- other than clogging the bags in the dust extractor.
Well, as I said before, we obviously work in a different market & to totally different standards, at least as far as plastering is concerned. If youve got to sand plaster skim before you paint it then whoever did it is a total joke, should be told so & chucked off site; believe me I've done it more than once.

It really must be a long time since you used an electric sander, either that or you have never used a quality sander such as one of the festool sanders.

The right set up will leave you with a flatter finish than you could achieve by hand and in a fraction of the time. Not only will the finish be better but you wont need to wear a mask.

Additionally the size of the pad enables you to remove highspots much more accurately than you could do with a 4" sanding block.

Don't take my word for it- find a local Festool supplier- it used to be a requirement that resellers had workshops where you could try the tools.

Off hand, one trade that works to high finishes is the automotive trade- they have been using DA sanders with extraction for years.

Incidentally I do have a linear electric sander but I seldom use it. I only use it for handrails etc and it has user defined bases so the risk of losing the profile/shape is mitigated.

I've seen them dot'n'dab plasterboard on 60MM, maybe they were sanding tape and fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back