Sanding old floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of sanding the existing floor boards. Any tips or books that I could read to help as I've never done a project like this before.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What type of floorboards? If pine and sanded bare, applying a clear finish might turn it typical pine orange after a while.
We can recommend Colour Wax Oak, followed with 1 coat of Premiums HardWaxOil (4 sheens available) to prevent this and give you a warm, not to dark colour.

As for sanding the boards: a standard drum sander from hire-shops could give you loads of shatter marks, again especially when you have pine boards. Make sure the metal rod is tightly secured to the sanding paper and drum.
Make sure any visible nails are driven further through the boards, they can damage the sanding paper (and if you're really unlucky, the drum too)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back