Sanding old oil based gloss work... skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had the wall skimmed and now ready to start preparation for glossing the skirting boards and door frames. The paint appears to be oil based. There are a few places where the paint has lifted and in general wasn't painted to the best standard. I've tried some ordinary sandpaper and it quickly clogged up. I want to get a decent finish would I be better off using wet and dry?

I have thought about stripping it but just seems to big a job!

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
Stripping with a hand tool? Or an electric heater/stripper?

Short term results are always attractive, but long term solutions are so worth the hard work.

I'd suggest you make it as easy for yourself as possible too, maybe remove the SB and then proceed to heat and strip off the bad paint?

Thanks for the reply.

I've realised that the sandpaper I was using was rubbish. I bought some Mirka Hiomant Alox in various grits. Just started with the 80 grit and it is working a treat. I also made myself a hand held sanding tool with a handle about 150mm x 55mm and stick the sandpaper on with double sided tape and this is working really well especially on the runs that were there.

Like you say hard work yields the best results. It is hard work but strangely I'm enjoying it!

Sponsored Links
Please add before and after pictures; it's gives others an insight into how others enjoy DIY, and encourage them to do as you are doing.

Thank you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back