Public areas - water based over gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to paint some doors, frames, skirting boards, within restaurant areas so needs to be touch dry within approx 2 hours, and hopefully not too smelly! Can anyone suggest any products/techniques on a pre-existing oil based gloss finish?

Sponsored Links
If it's quite old just give it a good sand first.

Can you suggest an alternative to OB gloss? ie one that dries quickly with a similar finish?

Johnstones Aqua but it takes practice to use. The satin is much easier.

Sponsored Links
Floetrol in the Johnstones Aqua will help you maintain a wet edge and reduce brush marks.

To ensure that it becomes touch dry as quickly as possible, use electric fans.

Another alternative would be a coat on coat waterbased spray, typically dry enough to re-coat in an hour or so. You could phone Morrells for advice 0870 560 6162

Yep i agree with Joe and opps, use the aqua it dries fast and gives a good gloss finish and the u/c is very good too. As mentioned good prep is essential when putting WB over OB.

Thanks guys. As you may have gathered, its not my trade, but will take your advice and give it a shot.

Thanks guys. As you may have gathered, its not my trade, but will take your advice and give it a shot.

Ok,

Ignore my spraying suggestion then, as a one off it wont be worth it.

Buy some decent synthetic brushes (Purdy, Wooster, Corona etc). A 2" will cost about £15ish but will make life a lot easier.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back