Yellowing gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 years ago i moved into this house and painted all the woodwork a very smelly b&q oil based gloss. Lovely and white it was. I assumed the oil based stuff would be best.

6 years on and I'm preparing the house to sell. How wrong i was about that paint! Ive spent the weekend glossing every door, architrave, door lining, skirting, dado, etc, twice! Because in places the paint has gone a strong shade of yellow. Especially on the doors where things have been hung on the back.

Why does this happen?

The new paint, by the way, is b&q quick drying water based gloss.

And why do they sell the oil based stuff when the water based is better in Every. Single. Way? Or am i missing something?? Cleaning, application, yellowing, smell.

Sponsored Links
Water based has only one quality, doesn't yellow. Since 2010 when the rules changed on oil based paints, certain chemicals have been left out or reduced, hence the yellowing.

The reason 4 yellowing not much or none at all natural sunlight getting 2 doors & other woodwork & regarding why oil v waterbased is price waterbased nearly twice the price !

Sponsored Links
Oil base paints yellow because of a lack of ultraviolet light.

I you removed the items on the back of the doors, in time the light would eliminate the yellow.

Waterbased paints don't yellow as a result of lack of light but as a professional decorator I consider them to be inferior with regards to quality of finish and durability.

Cleaning brushes? My oil based brushes live in a brushmate, I seldom need to clean them. Waterbased paints, I need to spend 10 minutes a day cleaning them. That is almost an extra hour per week.

Durability- I have a number of factory finished kitchen doors that I need to respray for customers. The base coat is solvent based but the finish coats are waterbased. Fats/grease from fingers makes the waterbased paint really soft and it wears away around knobs/handles/etc, the base coat is fine.

I guess that as a pro, I shouldn't complain. Oil based yellows faster than before, I vet called back more often. Waterbased wears away or chips, I get called back more often.

Cost differentials? I was told by Ray Mann merchants in Fulham that they have theirs made in Iceland because the process needs a lot of electricity, and Iceland has cheap hydro electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back