sanding plaster...need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to forum and just wanted some advice.

Recently had a new burglar alarm fitted and box fixed to the wall. The plaster around the box is really rough and bumpy and stands out quite a bit from the wall and I want to paint it. Can I just sand the plaster down around the box? What kind of sandpaper should I use? Sorry if this is a bit simple but no idea how to go about doing this.

Thanks for any help :D

Sponsored Links
Plaster is not the ideal material to be sanded, as the sandpaper will scratch and mark the plaster finish.
But you will need to sand it down to bring level to your existing wall surface, then buy some filler/jointing compound such as easifill would be ideal but any ready mixed compound from the DIY sheds will do or you could use a polyfila or it's like if needs be.
The filler would be used to apply over this area after sanding, this will repair the damaged made to the plaster surface, then leave this to dry. then a gentle sand down.
Then seal and prime wall prior to painting
150-180 grit paper is what I use.
easifill
ready mix

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back