Sanding single layer of Matt emulsion, having problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right guys we have this office space for our bulk admin work and it is in need of paint.

Now the building is fairly new and has all interior walls plastered around 2 years ago. The problem however is that it seems as though only one coat of paint was applied and when oldposters etc are removed, the paint peels off with it.

Now these "peeled" spots i tried to sand down a little so that I dont get bad patches appearing when i paint over but the problem is that it doesnt flatten or sand down. Rather it lifts up more and begins peeling.

What should I do guys. Im stuck as i cant sand it properly and ive tried 120 grit, 100 grit as well as 80 grit. It peels but not as much to peel the whole wall off lol,

im really stuck now guys.

Would it be wise to just give two mist coats and one full coat over the existing as it already is?

Plus previously the paint was Magnolia in colour and the new paint ive got is stone i.e. a dusty brown colour

Sponsored Links
i think the trouble is its not adhering to the wall

in the absence of better suggestions why not try gaffa /brown packing tape and have a ripping time getting it off then sand any that stays on
then polly filla over the edges!!!!!!!

as i say wait for better advice ;)

Yeah it is well rubbish, it seem as though the decorators didnt understand what a mist coat was and give the place one coat of paint only. A pitty as the plaster work is spot on.

So come on guys, any more advice ;)

Sponsored Links
So come on guys, any more advice ;)

Wet it with a solution of Automatic washing powder and water, or anything with low suds.
Then.....wet it again, keep it soaking and then strip it when it all bubbles up.
Dirty job but soaking it is the key if you want it off the wall.

I was hoping not to have to remove it all i.e. would have preferred to rub the patches down a little and add a new coat of paint over it ideally.

Do you think by adding two mist coats and one full coat of paint the patches would not be visible?

Sounds a classic case of pva and one thick coat.. Good for profit :) a ****e for the people who have to live with it. Where the paint has come away I would just fill in with easifill and touch in filled areas with thinned emulsion before you coat up overall.

Happy painting.

i was thinking of the easifill route. I already have half a bag left from another job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back