Patchey Orange peel paint work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks in the procress of doing up a house ai have a major problem.

all the wall once painted have gone all patchey and look like orange peel in places.

the wall have all been stripped back to the bare plaster sanded with 80 grit filled given a base cost of wickes trade emulsion, re filled re sanded with 120 grit then given another 2 coats of the same paint each with a light sanding of 240 grit inbetween. so i know the wall are all smooth.

i what also ensured that the walls have been all cleaned down between sandings so not dust could get in the cause the problem.

the paint has been applied with a good quality roller.

my questions are

1) what has caused it

2) how do i fix it

frustrated of worcester

Sponsored Links
It could be that the paint was applied to thickly also that you applied to much pressure to the roller, either of these will offer an orange peel effect. Sand them back and have another try.

Dec

Did you thin the paint? I think what you mean is roller stipple. Thin the paint about 5% and try again. If it's still patchy then it's the dreaded 'suede' which is a texture issue.

In my opinion, the answer lies in the paint. Wickes' trade emulsion is renowned for the orange peel and patchy finish and I, and every other decorator I know, steer well clear. It does have good covering/hiding power but nearly always dries out the way you describe. The Wickes Master range gives a better finish but is still nowhere near as good as a big brand trade emulsion.

As said, try sanding back but apply a good quality trade paint (Dulux, Crown, etc) thinned slightly and I'm sure you will get a much better finish altogether. If the problem still occurs, it could be that you are re-rolling over the areas too much as the paint is starting to dry.

Sponsored Links
Although I am not a lover of the Wickes brand this type of effect would probably be caused by bad application.

Dec

Never had a problem with Wickes paint. You guys just can't paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back