Sanding tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate sanding doors and skirting boards, especially those with the thin edges in the panels and details moldings. :rolleyes:

Is there any easy way to get the sandpaper along the edges of the inset panels and right into the corners (without damaging your fingers in the process !). Is there a hand tool (powered or otherwise) that anyone can recommend?

Also I once heard that the way of getting a good key on the existing gloss paint is to ensure that all the shine is removed. Is that fair comment?

All advice gratefully received !

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I find that wire wool works well on profiled edges.
You only have to give a light sand over to get a key. If you want a really smooth job then total stripping should be considered.

you could always use a liquid surface primer you wipe it on wait 15 mins then wipe it off it eats slightly into the gloss surface and gives a key for the undercoat.

Fantastic, thank you very much for the suggestions. I think that I am going to try the liquid sander on the basis of less dust created etc. Does the final finish come out ok using the liquid sander?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Tried the liquid sander - experimented with half a door left it on for 30 mins and the other half left on for 1 hour. Wiped off the sander.... and nothing ! The sheen/gloss was still present. I contacted Polycell customer care who confirmed that the sheen should have be eliminated/reduced.

Thats leads me to think that the prior paint is not gloss. How does one tell what the previous coat is? Whats the difference between Gloss and Acrylic and how do you tell? Any other coats that would produce a high sheen?

I'm stuck - looks like I may have to revert to the Aluminium Oxide..

The one I have used is not made by polycell it is a multi surface primer it says it can be used on paint, varnish,melamine, enamel, glass, ceramics and most plastics it is called international wipe on surface primer I think I got it from the dreaded B&Q it is made by plascon. www.plascon.co.uk
It says don't paint over with emulsion but I have used it for years to prime gloss and plastics before emulsioning and have found it brilliant for this

<Groans> :rolleyes: When I got to B&Q there were two surface primers on the shelf, one from Polycell and the other one was International. I ummed and ahhed for ages trying to decide which to get, and eventually went for the Polycell on the basis of I'd heard of Polycell.

I'll swap the other Polycell primer that I bought for an International and feedback the outcome.

Many thanks for the post Chappers.

>I'll swap the other Polycell primer that I bought for an International and feedback the outcome.

Kevlar you tried the new stuff out yet??

i got a shed load (well actually a whole house but you get the idea) of skirtingboards to paint and like yourself i canna stand the sanding part of painting :(

laters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back