Sanding Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before painting any wood, I always lightly sand and clean with sugar soap and rinse with clean water.

Today I was painting a room for a chap who has had a stroke and was previously (only told today) a professional decorator.

He wanted (insisted) that I sand the walls before applying emulsion. I never factored this into my quote, but did it any way.

Apart from washing walls down with sugar soap and rinsing, I have never sanded them. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? :oops:

Sponsored Links
If painting onto plastered walls, presumably they need to be smoothed anyway before you paint, so rubbing down seems to be a requirement. It is in my house anyway cos the walls are terrible.

If painting onto plastered walls, presumably they need to be smoothed anyway before you paint, so rubbing down seems to be a requirement. It is in my house anyway cos the walls are terrible.

These were perfectly good flat painted walls.

These were perfectly good flat painted walls.

Whether you sand/rub them down or not will depend on how plaster-perfect they are. I just run my hand over the wall before I start and if it feels even slightly rough, I always sand it before painting.

Sponsored Links
As said, if the walls are good and don't need de-nibbing, sanding isn't usually necessary, unless you are applying matt onto a silk base. Is that what you were doing?
In many cases, even sugar soaping can be OTT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back