Sanding Waterbased Satin Wood Before 2nd Coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Last weekend i painted quickdry waterbased satin wood in our dark hallway as i did not want to use gloss or oil based satin. Can i just paint a 2nd coat stright over the first coat or do i need to sand the first coat before i apply the 2nd one.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Last weekend i painted quickdry waterbased satin wood in our dark hallway as i did not want to use gloss or oil based satin. Can i just paint a 2nd coat stright over the first coat or do i need to sand the first coat before i apply the 2nd one.

Chris

You have a two to three day window with waterbased paints, before that time they have not fully cured and repainting without sanding is fine.

Once it has cured a resand is recommended, unfortunately WB paints are not very easy to sand but 220-400 grit silicon carbide should be ok provided you are only trying to get a key and not flatten the paint. Don't forget to vacuum/brush away the dust.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

I only have some fine grit glass paper and not much £££ to get anything else at the min as i am doing this on a very tight budget. Should this be ok

Not sure on grade.

I dont have to go crazy do i when sanding?

1st coat was put on last Sat / Sun

Chris

Many Thanks,

I only did 3 doors and half the hallway with 1 coat so when i do the rest with the first coat am i best to paint the 2nd coat the day after or is sanding still best to do no matter what

Chris

I dont have to go crazy do i when sanding?

1st coat was put on last Sat / Sun

Chris

No, just a light sanding is fine - the surface should feel smooth to the touch when you've done.

Many Thanks,

I only did 3 doors and half the hallway with 1 coat so when i do the rest with the first coat am i best to paint the 2nd coat the day after or is sanding still best to do no matter what

Chris

Time in between coats does not remove the need for light sanding. You are sanding to remove surface imperfections/roughness. Those imperfections are not magically going to disappear by themselves. If you did not sand in between coats, you could apply four or five coats and still not get such a smooth finish as two coats with a light sanding in between.

With the w/b satinwood expect to have to apply three coats (with light sanding in between!), if you want a decent finish. You can however start the sanding and the next coat about eight hours after you've applied the previous coat - you don't have to wait until the next day.

Good luck!

I am getting all the first coats done on all the doors and wood work. 6 door in total in the hallway this week. I have to do a bit each night due to work so by Sat all the first coats should be done. Then i can sand on Sat and start the 2nd one

Chris

What would happen if i just painted the 2nd coat over the first without sanding the first.

I just have a vission of dust everyware when i start sanding the 1st coat again.

Chris

What would happen if i just painted the 2nd coat over the first without sanding the first.

I just have a vission of dust everyware when i start sanding the 1st coat again.

Chris

A light sanding does not produce significant quantities of dust. We are talking a couple of minutes' work with a sanding block and fine sandpaper for each stretch of skirting board.

If you applied a second coat without sanding the finished effect would be grittier than if you sanded.

But would the paint peel off or fall off if I was to apply without sanding

I think the consensus is lightly sand between coats. This is the correct way of doing the job and you can not expect to be told otherwise on a decorating forum. The task is minimal and as stated above, will not cause much dust so to skip it would be a bit silly really. But with satin then I doubt it would just flake off without sanding first but then for the time it takes I would always lightly sand. Are you bothered about the finish and if not why bother sanding at all!

But would the paint peel off or fall off if I was to apply without sanding
In a sense yes it could, lightly sand using 240 grit wet, wipe away any residue/slurry allow to to dry and then offer another coat. You have to provide a bond with regard to the now cured paint and the paint that you are going to apply over it, you should really apply these systems with a quality synthetic brush.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back