Sandstone against lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m laying a patio alongside a lawn, the existing lawn will be ripped up and replaced at some point, but I assume the new turf will end up at the same level as the existing, pretty much.
I’m trying to work out how best to edge the Indian sandstone slabs - the lawn will be lower (say 2 or 3 inches) than the patio level.
Block paving kerb stones, or block pavers? Or just the slab with a bit of mortar benching, but the top part of that would be visible.
Any ideas from others who have done this, muchos appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Raise the level of the new lawn to the height of the patio so you can run a mower straight over the edges. It will save you hours of messing about every year when you mow the lawn.

Yeah I can and may well do that nearer the time. Focussing on the paving for now

I am interested in this as I will be doing the same if I was replacing the lawn I would build it up with top soil before laying turf so it’s level. I’m not in this position as I won’t be replacing, but had the idea of cutting & rolling back the turf by a couple of feet then building up with top soil & possibly feathering in some colour contrasting edge cobble stones.

Sponsored Links
I’ve ended up using the cobble-style block pavers on edge set in a strong sharp sand and cement bed and well haunched. Lawn level is way too low to set them at “easy mow” height unfortunately! They’ll be edging Indian sandstone finishing flush with the top of them so should look half decent. Area to the right of the border in the pic is new lawn to be seeded.

Attachments

• 0E5485F4-1073-491B-945B-37A75D08D123.jpeg
    0E5485F4-1073-491B-945B-37A75D08D123.jpeg
    802.7 KB · Views: 45
So add some top soil to bring the level up, feathering it into the existing lawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back