Sandstone dry lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My other question's dropped off the list, so I'll try a different approach.
Can I dot and dab sandstone, and what preparations should I make to the wall?
I found the answers to my other question about outside walls on the Kingspan/Celotex sites.
I've searched here for this one, but nothing comes up for sandstone dot and dab.
If you know a link that does, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks to all.
John

Sponsored Links
Haven’t responded previously dry lining sandstone is not something I’ve got any personal experience with but as you don’t seem to have had any takers :confused: ; I managed to find this thread;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74869

Sandstone is very porous & although drywall adhesive can be used on high suction backgrounds, personally I’ve never tried to bond to sandstone. What I would advise is that if it’s likely to be subject to any damp, both the bonding & boards will fail & you would be better to use battens & foil back Duplex boards. If it’s an internal wall not subject to damp you could D&D the boards & then mechanically secure them using through (screw) fixings or nailable plugs. But if there is any likelihood of damp, again, go with battens & Duplex boards. This link may also be of help;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/wb_drilyner_08_06.pdf

Now you'll probably get lots of responses saying I'm talking out of my arse :LOL:

Thanks Richard.
I'd already seen the link on here when searching, but as you said, it didn't really help.
I followed the other and then rang British Gypsum training college.
No, I can't dot and dab sandstone.
I asked about a screed they showed on that link, designed to go on porous walls before dry lining.
Unfortunately, they said it would be no good on sandstone.
So, it's battens.
The walls are party walls and not subject to damp.
The outside walls i'm doing with battens and 50mm Celotex. Much easier and cheaper option than Kingspan it seems.
Thanks for your help.
At least now anyone thinking of doing the same has an answer.
Regards,
John ;)

Sponsored Links
Just checked it and found a couple of prices.
Celotex plus a board works out about £12 a board cheaper.
That's a big saving for me.
Thanks anyway.
John ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back