Sandstone foundations causing damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. A friend of mine owns a house who's foundations he says are built directly on sandstone. The house was rendered with an impervious cement render. He has damp downstairs on all the lower walls. He maintains this is due to the fact that it has sandstone foundation's. He also tells me that there is clay placed all around the house. Does anyone here know anything about this? He wants to sell it and I would like some advise as to how we could remedy this problem. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Peeps on here are gonna need pics of the inside and outside of the house showing the damp so they can properly advise you

Also when did the damp appear before or after the render was applied?

It would also be better if he posted here himself

"He wants to sell it and I would like some advise as to how we could remedy this problem. Many thanks!"

Not something any one here will be able to you how to rectify, not a diy job by the sound of it. You need to get professional on site advice, a builder or damp proofing expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Failed render let’s it lots of moisture, but let’s none out, most likely cause along with roof , guttering problems. Foundations are of no consequence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back