Sandtex eggshell HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went into a local paint shop last week for some satin finished masonry paint in black but the shop did not have any in stock so he ordered some in for me, earlier the wife collected the paint 10 litres of Sandtex Eggshell Extra, it states on the tin that its for wood and metal no mention of masonry, so am i better to take it back and get something different or will it be okay painted onto masonry.

Sponsored Links
Nah, take it back. As you say, that stuff is designed for wood and metal.. I daresay you could paint brick with it, but I wouldn't advise it at all!

You've bought/been given the wrong stuff, shudder to think how much 10ltrs of that cost!

Sponsored Links
I know masonry paint but which brand would you recommend please?

I think you've asked this before, a few times and you've been after gloss masonry paint if I remember right? Have mentioned Bedec to you as well as someone else mentioning it to you - even tho you don't have a local shop that sells it, you could order it online? At least that way you'd not get the wrong paint for the job again and you could probably finally get on with your DIY job!

Yes you are correct i did ask for advise before re gloss masonry paint but due to cost it is a no go, but thanks for all your help to date.

Cheers blightymam, what is the difference in sandtex trade and sandtex ?

The trade version effectively contains more pigment and so covers better - not necessarily area-wise, but opacity-wise - meaning less coats are required.
If you can compare the weights of both types of paint, you will feel that the trade version is heavier due to the higher solid content.
Only downside to trade paints is that they are often too thick to apply directly and usually need to be diluted between 5-10%, especially when used on heavily textured masonry to ease application. The bonus is that it then goes further and still covers better than standard retail version.

Bottom line - go with the trade version. ;)

BTW, Sandtex is usually a little shinier than most masonry paints, so that should suit your needs better too.

Thanks a lot folks for your advise, got the paint changed to Sandtex Trade 365 all weather, away now to start scraping and sanding coping stones and the plinth, anybody fancy doing this, LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back