Sandtoft 20/20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone used the sandtoft 20/20 clay tile. I have a 15 degree pitch on a new extension and i'm trying to match the original tiles on my house (1930 house) as best as I can.

Sponsored Links
I bought a load for our single storey rear extension (3m x 6m) for the same reason - low pitch, and wanting something that looked similar to the main roof (1930's clay rosemary's) in a conservation area.
They are lovely looking tiles now I've got them on site, but the fixings that come with them are hopeless. The eaves clips will never work in a million years, so Sandtoft said "leave them off and screw fix the heads" - after I'd bought them and messed about with them for a day mind you. Now I'm figuring out how anybody could hammer in the main tile clips between two battens with a 170mm gap between them using bendy aluminium nails! I asked the local roofing merchant/contractor and he said he has lost money on every job he's ever done with 20/20's. He showed me a bunch of clips for Marley's and other tiles and they all looked very well thought out. I'm starting to think Sandtoft are good with firing clay but not much use at anything else.
The short version of the above is perhaps - buy them if you like them but get a contractor to fit them who has definately used them before...

Hi sounds like we have similar house/extension that's exactly why I chose them too. Are you still fitting yours? Are you happy with the look/match. Bit unsure whether to go with them but they look the best match and at a 15 degree pitch.

Spent today trying to sort them out, so not sure. Sandtoft say they do some better clips now, but trailed round a load of roofing merchants all morning and they all say "nobody clips tiles". It's going to be another 4-5 days as far as I can tell by the time Sandtoft get some of the new style slips to me so I'm going to install a load this weekend without clips while the weather is still good (as recomended by everyone in the trade I've spoken to apart from Sandtoft) and see how they go. I just heard about a contractor on a big job doing a refurb with 20/20's on a 16 degree roof right now, and they are very happy with the tiles, and they are not clipping any of them. They do look nice at least.

Sponsored Links
if you dont clip o at least nail them they will be liable to blow off, they are quite light weight.
They look nice and stangely enough our clips worked....

DUJ666 - Your original question was "how do they look" and the answer is I think they look OK. I've still not got a definate answer about the best way to fix mine (between sandtoft at one extreme and the roofing contractors at the other extreme), and it's looking like fitting them neatly around velux type windows without them kicking up might be tricky (as it seems to be with many tiles of this type - see other posts on this forum) so it is worth considering these things when planning the roof. Sandtoft (and other manufacturers) will send you samples on request so I think it's worth getting a few and seeing what you think. There is more information about, and more stockists for, the larger manufacturers though, such as Marley and the others.

thanks for you help i've now found another tile the decra oberon looks ok and very lightweight has anyone used these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back