Sandy ceilings!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners quite clearly had a leak in the loft and this affected the bedroom ceiling. Looks like they have patched the repair although it does stand lightly proud. Worse part is they have painted the whole ceiling in the cheap textured paint you can buy at DIY stores - you know a bucket of paint with grit in it! Is this stuff reasonably easy to sand down or will it be a complete re-do?

Sponsored Links
depending on your budget i would have it re-skimmed or boarded over and skimmed, sanding down you will be breathing it and cleaning for weeks. will the patching up still show if you sand? incidently i used to go out with a girl called sandy ceilings :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am not sure what this patched bit will look like, this is the section they have covered with the most of this dreadful paint in a vain attempt to cover it up! Needless to say all they managed to achieve was drawing your eye to it even more and making a right hash of it.

Thought it might be the re-skimming in the end, but my next problem is finding a plasterer who won't charge me a full day rate, or refusing because the job is too small. :(

Sometimes you can get lucky and it will peel off....albeit in small pieces but it may work.

Try using a blown heat gun on it, it softens up the paint film and again may make it peelable.....use a filling knife as opposed to a scraper, it has a thinner blade.

Sanding it is virtually impossible.

Have you considered re texturing the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice I will give it a go. All my other ceilings are now smooth after spending hours removing woodchip and other such delightful coverings, so would really like this one to be the same. Thought the others were pigs to do, this may prove me wrong!

cant see you getting a plasterer who will charge you for half a day, then again how much is half a day? and what can they do with the other half of the day? get a price for the job, wether it takes two days or two hours the price will be the same.

jbonding said:
cant see you getting a plasterer who will charge you for half a day, then again how much is half a day? and what can they do with the other half of the day? get a price for the job, wether it takes two days or two hours the price will be the same.

Indeed......you could aways try to find them something esle to make the day up...

I had an instance recently...a customer wanted 12 new doors painted in her hallway two coat of satin finish.

When I enquired about the other sides of the doors she said she couldnt afford to have them done at the time....

When I told her the price would be the same because 12 doors (24 coats was only half a days work and I would have to charge her for the full day anyway she practically bit me hand off and went for having them all done

Mind you....48 coats of paint on doors.....in a day...soul destroying!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back