Saniflo installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could advise on the electrical side of a Saniflo installation in an upstairs en-suite.

I know that an unswitched 5 amp fuse is needed but my question is, does this need a separate isolation switch or can the feed be taken directly from a spur from the floor ring main?

Also, what are the rules for positioning of the unswitched socket? (ie, how far away from the toilet / shower / basin etc).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I know that an unswitched 5 amp fuse is needed but my question is, does this need a separate isolation switch or can the feed be taken directly from a spur from the floor ring main? ... Also, what are the rules for positioning of the unswitched socket? (ie, how far away from the toilet / shower / basin etc).
You certainly would be advised to have an isolation switch, and that must be at least 600mm horizontally from the edge of any bath or shower. However, if circumstances permit, there's no reason I can think of why you couldn't have a switched fused connection unit at that location (fed as a spur from the ring circuit), thereby serving both purposes (that's the arrangement I have for a Saniflo in my house).

Kind Regards, John

I know that an unswitched 5 amp fuse is needed but my question is, does this need a separate isolation switch or can the feed be taken directly from a spur from the floor ring main?
I don't see the distinction.
A separate isolator is not mandatory but advisable and useful.

Also, what are the rules for positioning of the unswitched socket? (ie, how far away from the toilet / shower / basin etc).
If you mean 'socket' it must be over 3 metres from the edge of the bath/shower.

If you meant the fused connector -
Unswitched - anywhere except zone 1, not above the bath/shower tray.
Switched - outside the zones, more than 600mm from a vertical line at the edge of the bath/shower.
In both cases they must be suitable for the environment (manufacturer's instructions)

Thank you for the replies.

So, am I able to hide a switched fused connection in the cupboard that holds the basin (so effectively more than enough distance away from the shower) or is this switch better off on the outside wall of the en-suite?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. So, am I able to hide a switched fused connection in the cupboard that holds the basin (so effectively more than enough distance away from the shower) or is this switch better off on the outside wall of the en-suite?
Anywhere sensible (i.e. not likely to get wet, and not too difficult to get at when needed) that is >600mm from the shower. Mine is in a downstairs loo, and my switched FCU is, just as you propose, in a cupboard which holds the basin.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all (apart from Ban All Sheds :LOL: - needs must I'm afraid!))

Is there a good reason behind an upstairs en-suite requiring a macerator?
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, yes because of the way the en-suite has been created, it's effectively in the middle of the house and the outside wall is on the boundary.

Rather than run a soil pipe some 7 metres to the next best outside wall through the bedroom or down into and through the kitchen, a Saniflo was the only viable option. Had five plumbers / builders all saying the same.

Seems a fair option in respect of distance and upheaval.
I had exactly the same situation with my ground-floor loo - which is right in the middle of a large house, very many metres from the nearest drainage, with routes involving solid floors in most directions. There was really no sensible alternative to using a macerator.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back