Saniflo Plus - Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi what is best type of pipe to use please? The saniflo is only pumping waste water not the toilet waste.

If copper how best to tap it into the soil pipe?

Note: The distance to the one stack is too great to allow a non pumped run. The other stack that is present is not accessible due to past building work.

Oh and I have already bought the sanflo;)

Sponsored Links
Its normal to use 32 mm plastic waste. In some situations 21.5 mm plastic overflow can be used.

Read the installation instructions.

It needs a switched spur to supply it and this should not be within a bathroom.

Tony

Hi I have read the instructions which suggest plastic or copper. I, in turn, was wondering which was the suggested best by people who know.

Saniflo suggest 22mm or larger but as I will not be outputting anything more noxious that waste water I prefer the smallest dia as then I will be able to achieve the correct fall.

So guys - copper or solvent weld plastic?

Tony you mention a switched spur but in another place I read that an unswitched spur was better as you would not then find it switched off in the middle of the night. Howeer I will be guided by your comment.

Sponsored Links
Any suggestion of an unswitched spur was ( incorrectly ) related to toilet usage.

Electrical regulations require an adequate means of isolation for servicing, would you like your fingers macerated because you followed some internet advice?

Tony

Agile said:
Any suggestion of an unswitched spur was ( incorrectly ) related to toilet usage.

Electrical regulations require an adequate means of isolation for servicing, would you like your fingers macerated because you followed some internet advice?

Tony
Please re-read my response [where I said I took note of what was said. Surely a fused spur [whether switched or not] would provide adequate isolation? I had always assumed that it was best practice to remove the fuse or isolate via the circuit breaker before working on any electrical circuit. Was when I trained many years ago before I left Mains stuff.

I do not mean to cause upset as I am always grateful for advice recieved but will always weigh up that advice carefully beofe acting.

Nore: The Macerator will not be located within the bathroom.

The difference is that a switched spur will isolate both live and neutral and its advisable that equipment which might need maintenance has both poles isolated with a gap of at least 2 mm.

The suggestion by someone of an unswitched spur was to lessen the chance of flushing the toilet and finding the macerator was not powered. However all the units I have encountered, including one I have, will contain the flush volume within the bowl in the event of macerator malfunction.

Tony

Getting back to the original question it's worth remebering that solvent weld pipe will require fitting in such a way as to cope with thermal expansion - you don't say what sort of waste water you're pumping - but if it's appliance waste it could be up to 90°C and may be under a bit of pressure. If the run is in excess of 3m then I believe expansion joints should be fitted for installation of pipework to be in accordance with mthe pipe manufacturers instructions! Personally I don't fancy pumping waste down something held together with a glorified pushfit joint!
If I had the choice/money I'd go with copper pipe - if going for a larger diameter pipe then use plastic solvent weld pressure pipe.

Many thanks to Agile, Towman and not forgetting Breezer.

I have opted for copper due to it's inherent horizontal stability though will of couse be supporting it on its run.

Agile - I recognise what you are saying and will be fitting a switched spur tucked away where visiting grandkids can't reach. Note: this will be in the same airing cupboard that houses the Saniflo.

Towman - the waste is the water from the wash basin and the bath - so not all that hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back